Hammock Help Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I've just bought myself a DD Frontline and a set of whoopie slings, but have a few questions before I put it all to good use:

1. I have 4 DMM 12cm Pro-Wire Karabiners similar to those sold by DD, but fractionally bigger. 2 will be used to connect the whoopie slings to the hammock, and I plan on using the other two to connect the tree huggers around the trunk. Will the 'wire gate' type of karabiner be OK to use on the huggers? Just wondering how the forces will be applied to the karabiner and whether it may be inclined to twist. Does anyone use these in this type of situation? they are the only ones that DD sell, so I'm assuming they will be OK.

2. The DD website and other instruction I've seen for hanging a DD hammock seem to need you to stretch the hammock as tightly as possible before loading it. Whereas other hammocks seem to be hung slacker. Many people seem to use a structural ridge line which allows the hammock to hang at a consistent sag. I understand the need to position myself at an angle to achieve a more horizontal position, so why the need to stretch the hammock as tightly as possible. How do you hang yours? :rolleyes:

3. My set up is whoopie slings to a karabiner to a webbing loop through the gathered end of the hammock. If I were to use a structural ridge line, would that be an additional length of say 6mm accessory cord between the two karabiners? Am I right to think that the whoopies would be pulled as tight as possible with the 6mm cord tight between and the hammock connected to the two karabiners but sagging below the ridge line? Do I need anything else. Once a comfortable sag has been found, this would seem to be the most consistent way to hang the hammock.

I am a complete newbee to this hammocking lark, but I'd like to get it right from the start. I'm going to try a trial set up tomorrow; I might use the original DD webbing as a ridge line to see how they both feel. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

RR

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My two penneth ...

1. Those DMM should be fine if they're climbing rated, do they have 24kn stamped on them ?
2. I hang very loosely, it makes the hammock a lot more comfortable and it's also easier get to flat with a diagonal lay. I wouldn't worry too much about a ridgeline on the hammock but they can be handy.
3. I'd do away with the webbing and just thread the closed eye end of the whoopie through and then loop through itself. Just use longer tree straps to give you some flexibility when the trees just aren't quite right. A 6-8ft tree strap with a karabiner on one end should be plenty, wrap around the tree clip the karabiner on and then use a marlin spike toggle at the loose end, hook the whoopie onto the knot behind the toggle and you're good to go.

Sorry if you've seen it before but Shug gives a good demo of the marlin toggle and whoopie combo here, about 3mins in ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0&feature=player_embedded#at=196

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Im in agreement with the advice already given, I use whoopie's & marlin spike method. I have a home made gathered end hammock, I've added an adjustable paracord ridge line between the whipped end's it always hangs the same and I dont pull the tension tight , I have it hung so when I sit in it, im in a sitting position just like im at the height of a chair when at home. hang your tree straps high to allow for a rough 30 - 45 degree angle.
My ridge line is not load bearing or bow string tight even when I'm laying in it, therefore paracord is fine, I've just used a prusik knot so once I found the sag I like I have not moved it, I've not changed it and wont remove the adjustability incase I lend it to anyone.
Yes you could make a figure 8 fixed loop and hook it into the karabina one end of the hammock pass the new ridge line through the other karabina and tie a prusik or tentioning hitch, loads of tutorials on youtube they're real easy to tie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUmDSEx7DUY&feature=related
Try things and see what works best for you, after all your the one who has to lay in it and be comfortable.
Shug vid's are so informative, he rocks!

Last edited:

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Thanks guys. The karabiners are climbing grade with 24kN stamped on them, so they should be ok. I don't fancy pulling the hammock too tight before laying in it, so I'll try it slack first.

I watched Shug's video last night for the first time and it helped a lot, thanks Shewie. I like the tensioning hitch too, thanks Ch@rlie.

My whoopie slings are the 'all-in-one' package from whoopie. The 6' hugger has a loop stitched in at the very end for a karabiner or to thread the hugger through itself. The other end of the hugger is permanently attached to the whoopie sling, so the marlin spike method cant be used. The other end of the whoopie is attached to a descender ring with a further short length of amsteel running to a DMM karabiner. I don't think this short length would be long enough to replace the webbing loop through the gathered end of the hammock, although in hindsight, this would have been a less bulky option.

The Whoopie 'all-in-one' set up looks good but may end up being a bit restrictive. The marlin spike & toggle looks very flexible.

I'll try to get some pics of my set up today.

Thanks again.

RR

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I watched Shug's video last night for the first time and it helped a lot
hope you watched more than the first one, thats the introduction lmao. I think theres about ten in the series, all very usfull and indepth
I've not seen the all in one whoopie system, I made my own stuff so far, I've now got the material for a bug net just playing with ideas what to do with it.
would have been cheaper to just buy a DD but I'm learning so much and enjoying the build process.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
LOL :), I watched a few and some others other than Shug's. I will watch them all though.

The all-in-one system seems ideal for beginners like me, but it is quite expensive. I hadnt seen a whoopie sling before and dont know anybody with one, so I went for the fool proof option. Having seen one I can see that it wouldnt be too difficult to make them yourself.

Thanks

RR

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
@ Ch@rlie : This site has some good ideas for bug nets and everthing else you need for a hammock
http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/projects/bug-protection/open-bottom-net.php

+1 on viewing ALL the shug videos. Lots of useful info there

I have this site in my Fav's but to be honnest I had NOT seen the page you sent me. Thanks
I had it for the hammock frame lol

Roe Ring,

I forgot to mention, when you asked about the tension of your hammock, here is a good post within the hammock forums re: load bearing stress and angle of the dangle its well worth a read. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29170&highlight=AMSTEEL+LOADING

Last edited:

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Thanks Ch@rlie. I'm going to try a slacker hang to start with and will experiment to see what is most comfortable. I didnt manage to set-up today but will try during the week.

Thanks again

RR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE