Hammock Hanging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I just too delivery of a Tenth Wonder 1.8 Black Hornet and a Tarp with doors. It is all good and nice stuff. Last night i spent a night out in it. In the morning i had a very sore back. Anybody got any suggestions why. Other than that it is very good. I will do a review in the review section.
Thanks
Jacob

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
My setup:
100_0085.jpg

How i hung the hammock:
100_0086.jpg

My insulation. also used a eurohike sleeping bag as a top quilt. Unzipped all the way then draped over me:
100_0087.jpg

I did notice that the side i felt cold on is the side my back hurts most. I might just of answered my own question. If so can people give me advice of how to rectify the problem.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Age?

Only kidding.
Best I can thing is the amount of sag in the hammock. The DD range isn't designed for diagonal sleeping so the tension has to be right to get the right comfort level. Don't know if TW are the same.

Probably down to the cold spot. I know its more expense but an UQ is much better than a self inflating mat (imho), I have tried both and with a mat was pretty uncomfortable as I seemed to always wake up having slid off and being cold. Spent a week up North (of Scotland not London) on a canoe trip. Dangled most nights and the UQ made all the difference.

Windy

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Probably down to the cold spot. I know its more expense but an UQ is much better than a self inflating mat (imho), I have tried both and with a mat was pretty uncomfortable as I seemed to always wake up having slid off and being cold. Spent a week up North (of Scotland not London) on a canoe trip. Dangled most nights and the UQ made all the difference.

Windy
Yeh i really want a UQ but havent got the funds. Does anybody have linky to somebody that has posted about making one from a sleeping bag.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not sure that the cold would give you a sore back, I expect it's because you're not used to using a hammock.

A couple of pals still have issues getting a good nights sleep in a hammock after a number of years, especially on the first night of a multi day trip.

My advice would be to persevere with it, get a couple more nights under your belt and see how you get on.

Did you manage to stay fairly level or did you slide down into the centre at all? Try and get your feet slightly elevated, only around 6 inches but it can really help settle you down. Another reason might be because of the hyper extension of your legs, try and put a cushion/spare clothes under your knees, I've heard this can give people a bad back but I've never experienced it myself.

A decent underblanket is a good investment for the colder months but at this time of year you should be okay with your mat. You'll feel the breeze come through around your sides but it's nothing to worry about in July.

You might want to try and change the tension on your hammock too, I've not tried a TW but aiming for a 30* angle on your suspension should give you the most comfort. A lot of folk go for the tight stretched method so it does work, I've found a looser hang to be better for me though.

Have a good read around this site for some tips

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
My insulation. also used a eurohike sleeping bag as a top quilt. Unzipped all the way then draped over me:
>>>...<<< I did notice that the side i felt cold on is the side my back hurts most. I might just of answered my own question. If so can people give me advice of how to rectify the problem.

I'd tend to agree, lack of proper insulation will not have helped. Most people who use hammocks go to a lot of effort to get their rig just as they want it, don't be disheartened ;) .

As for making your own /uQ, I think there are a few tutorials and how-to's on the site. southey modded a jungle bag ~ linky thing ~ and it's as good a place as (m)any to start from. If you can't find what you're looking for here, try Hammock Forums ;) .

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I'm not sure that the cold would give you a sore back, I expect it's because you're not used to using a hammock.

A couple of pals still have issues getting a good nights sleep in a hammock after a number of years, especially on the first night of a multi day trip.

My advice would be to persevere with it, get a couple more nights under your belt and see how you get on.

Did you manage to stay fairly level or did you slide down into the centre at all? Try and get your feet slightly elevated, only around 6 inches but it can really help settle you down. Another reason might be because of the hyper extension of your legs, try and put a cushion/spare clothes under your knees, I've heard this can give people a bad back but I've never experienced it myself.

A decent underblanket is a good investment for the colder months but at this time of year you should be okay with your mat. You'll feel the breeze come through around your sides but it's nothing to worry about in July.

You might want to try and change the tension on your hammock too, I've not tried a TW but aiming for a 30* angle on your suspension should give you the most comfort. A lot of folk go for the tight stretched method so it does work, I've found a looser hang to be better for me though.

Have a good read around this site for some tips

Thank you soooo much. I have just adjusted my hammock and made it a really loose lay and it is wonderfully comfortable now. will try it out tonight and give an in depth review. I followed the instructions on the site and it was really good. Thanks a lot. I thought i needed a tighter lay but i was wrong.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thank you soooo much. I have just adjusted my hammock and made it a really loose lay and it is wonderfully comfortable now. will try it out tonight and give an in depth review. I followed the instructions on the site and it was really good. Thanks a lot. I thought i needed a tighter lay but i was wrong.

Good stuff, let us know how you get on

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Seems like Shewie sorted your lay. A tip for the insulation, try putting 'wings' on your mat before you go for the UQ. You can find examples online to add removable ones to a mat you might use for ground camping.
That might keep you going until you make/buy a UQ.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Good news guys. Had a very good nights sleep. Felt I could move in the hammock more. Also I made a UQ out of an old sleeping bag which I will post pics of later.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE