hammock fun.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i spent the weekend testing my hammock. Great worked well it was cheap off ebay. only problem is i have an orginal 3/4 length thermarest absolutely no friction. The whole night was spent sliding down the hammoack and trying to crawl back on it.

Am i pitching the hammock wrong. i had the head end slightly higher than the bottom. Also at one point the thermarest almost fell out of the gap of the hennesey. i was attempting to sleep across it.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Yeah, it's fun to sleep outside in a hammock. :-D I bought mine new and green for 7£! :wink: Very cheap... And it's very durable too! :cool: 180 cm. long and can hold a weight on 200 kg. :shock:

When I tie mine up, I always use a round turn & two halfhitches. That's the right knot for the job! :-D :wink:

Cheers :uu:

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Pitch it so the foot end and head end are level, not one end higher than the other.
Use a knot that can be released easily after being placed under tension, I don't recommend using half hitches, one that can be released with a pull on the free end is best.
Old thermarests do slip arround, so you need to have it semi inflated and put it inside your sleeping bag.
And don't forget drip lines, if you want to stay dry anyway.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I don't recommend using half hitches, one that can be released with a pull on the free end is best.

You mean Highwaymans hitch?? :wink:
But if you are hammocking in a 15 m. tree in the top, and by an accident pull in the 'tie up' end....... :yikes: :shock: It is possible. :wink: :)

Two halfhitches are actually (when tied up right and pulled hard) very stabil. :wink: :cool:

Cheers :uu:

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Perhaps these may help
68028.jpg

68029.jpg

This ones not a very good pic, but you get the idea
68030.jpg

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I haven't heard of the squash ball trick. I'm assuming you cut the ball in half, punch a hole in it and slide it over the suspension tapes?

I did used to suffer the occasional damp night, then I put Karabiners in where you see the rings now, worked very well. The Stainless steel rings are available from point north as is the webbing.

Since using the rings I've never suffered a damp hammock, to the extent that I went and got myself a down sleeping bag.

Just out of interest what do the Hennesy's have in the way of drip lines/rings?
I've only had a quick try of Stuarts hammock, and don't remember if it had them, or even if it needed them.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
My hennsey is an old cocoon model. it does not have any drip rings that i am aware of. I didn't occur to me that it might need them so thanks for the tip. i am planning to use it with a one season down bag this weekend on my woodcraft course. the weather should allow me to test it pretty well.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Firstly the hennesy hammock does not require drip rings (I've had mine out in a tropical cyclone) the water drips off where the prussic knot holding the retaining clip for the tarp meets the main line

secondy you will find that you sleep more comfortly on the hennesy if your feet are a little higher than your head, this way your back is flat so you dont slide into a ball in the middle of the hammock and you sleep with your legs slightly raised

thirdly the hennesy does not require any knots (quick relese or otherwise) the line is simply wrapped around itself in a fig 8 three times and it binds sucurely (simply follow the instructions on the bag)

P1010055.jpg

hammock.jpg

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
I am intending on making the Thai hammock demonstrated in the DIY section. However this design leaves you with two live ends as the length of tape that you tie up with runs right through the end of the hammock.

Should i think of retrofitting it with different cord? Drip rings? and the like :?:

Anyone have any suggestions, It would be most helpful before i get the needle and thred out! Cheers :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE