Hammock camp and fishing

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
On the spur of the moment, I decided to go fishing. And then on the next spur of the next moment, I decided that I may as well include an overnight camp into the bargain....

I went into the garage and put together a light kit. Due to the warm weather, I concluded that a hammock, tarp, poncho liner and a thermarest ridgeline mat would suffice. For warm clothing I took a swanndri fleece, a merino wool Buff and a spare pair of socks. The stove would be the faithful Trangia and the pot would be the ever present GSI Glacier kettle. I packed a light ration, grabbed my fishing gear and made my way to the river.

I arrived in the early evening, the sun still quite high but the heat of the day was dropping. Still warm enough to get me sweating though. I cast out a lure into a canalised section and began 'walking the dog'. I caught a lot of stick fish, a fair few weed fish, and worked my way quietly round moored canal boats until I hit the junction where the canal turned back into wild river. Just as I was reeling in the lure, a pike snatched up my lure and darted away. I held the line with one hand, and messed about pulling my net forward with the other. I took too long. With a sudden pull, the pike broke free and swam off. Bugger. I reeled in the lure and secured the line to my rod.

I continued along the river, casting and reeling at fishy looking spots for a few hours, to no avail. I decided to find a rest spot and wait for dusk before chancing my arm again. I spotted a young copse a little back from the bank. Thick with birch and oak, and with high grasses it looked discreet enough. I wandered in. Ahh yes, perfect for a hammock camp. I strung her up, got the tarp overhead and lay back relaxing.

f6eb7cdf76f20b0bdb3741fee5452119.jpg

I popped two hydrate tablets in the nato waterbottle and gave it a shake. I gently swayed back and forth for a half hour, sipping away. Time for a coffee and a snack....

e0b338fa629364aa9811fa3a3b1db27e.jpg

I got a brew on and rummaged through my light ration. I'd only bought enough to nibble on, some honey, and an emergency BITB just in case. I also ground some fresh coffee before I left (no need to rough it eh!?). I listened to the evensong of the birds while the water came to the boil silently beside me on the Trangia. When the steam rose from the kettle spout, I removed the kettle from the heat and added two handfuls of coffee to the water. Back on the heat until it bubbled around the edges. Off the heat until the bubbling stopped, then back on the heat, repeat a few more times. Then let it brew to the side for five minutes. The coffee grains will settle on the bottom of the kettle and if poured gently into a cup, you won't have a gritty coffee. Kokekaffe ready! A drop of honey for sweetness and a biscuit to dunk in it. Lovely!.

03dc1ee95de554933654d1ff60698569.jpg

b175e656f30bf29a5b1ab2673920388d.jpg

Coffee finished, I gave everything a wipe clean. With the sun dipping now, I got the bed made (I threw the mat inside the hammock with the poncho liner), then grabbed my rod, net and lure box, heading for the bank.

I cast and retrieved for a little while. Then I got a hit! A quick little play and in came a little chub.

a784fb4fb2f206272fb0579601496312.jpg

Photo for evidence that I can actually catch fish was taken, and I moved on. More casting a retrieving. On and on into the sunset. I enjoyed my time wandering up and down the bank. Eventually, my persistence was rewarded again, this time with a jack pike.

918df13a5fc0c5bdb55825960e1283e8.jpg

I returned the fish to the water and roved the bank again, moving quietly along, casting as I went. A very pleasant way to spend the evening. I took a look at the time. It was 1040pm! Still light enough to see a fair distance but I supposed I was done fishing and headed back to camp.

bd7e0bf806a14ba70e18d4787d8699d2.jpg

A quick toilet break and I got myself settled into the hammock for the night. You'll be glad to read I slept through until about 5am very well. With nature calling I answered in the usual way then relaxed and cat stretched in the snug warmth of my bedding for a while. Eventually I slung my legs over and stepped out. Time for a morning coffee and a breakfast snack. I removed the roll mat and poncho liner from the hammock and sat back against a tree, sitting on the mat and wrapped in the liner while the water boiled for a big mug of Kokekaffe.

62070a563734f3d4506e064691c60955.jpg

I sipped my brew and dunked the biscuits slowly, enjoying the early morning. It was so silent. Once done I packed everything away, checked I'd left no trace and meandered back along the river bank to the car, fishing as I went. No fish, but it was a nice walk......

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE