Hammock advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've got a DD travel.

The 'tapes' are attached to the hammock.
Does that mean water ingress or will a 'drip string' solve that?

Or should i cut off the tape and have a 'krab' link between the hammock and tapes that go around the tree?

Tom.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Speaking from past soggy experiences I'd go for krabs or an o-ring somewhere in the setup.
Personally I'd tie off the DD tapes into a small loop, then clip a krab onto that, then take another set of webbing to the tree.

Have a look at g4ghb's tutorial for the best way imho.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Speaking from past soggy experiences I'd go for krabs or an o-ring somewhere in the setup.
Personally I'd tie off the DD tapes into a small loop, then clip a krab onto that, then take another set of webbing to the tree.

Have a look at g4ghb's tutorial for the best way imho.

Think I'd best wait until sober..;)
But it seems simple enough just now...mind you so does pythagoras theorem... :lmao:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I too have just ordered a DD travel Hammock, and was thinking along the same lines,how easy is it to remove the tapes supplied and replace with 7mm climbing rope, is it a case of just pulling tape out and threading rope in or is it more complicated, was also thinking along shewie's line's eg cutting tape knoting and krabing if first idea does'nt work.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Replacing the tapes with ropes will be that easy. I'd be tempted to do the Krab mod and keep the short tapes then you can rope to the Krab from the tree. I did a wee blog thingy here The tapes do stretch a little, later ones stretch less but with the tapes only about 50cm long they wont stretch much. 'They' also say that the tapes are kinder to the trees.... :240: ;)

I'd definitely stick Krab on though to get shot of the drips.

Cheers,

Alan

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
From past experience you are better off leaving the tape in the hammock ends just shorten them and add a krab , the tape seem to spread your weight more evenly on the fabric itself thus your hammock will last longer. i tried swapping to thick para cord but under full tension it started to cheesewire through the sleeves .
Nothing will ruin a nights kip like hearing popping stitches when the trees are rocking!!!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just thought..

The travel hammock has the tapes the way they are in case you want to use it as a bivi or ground sheet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE