Hammer stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Off topic but mention of sarsen polishers reminded me of my first sight of one. 1964 excavation on Fyfield Down, Wiltshire. First dig for me and the site Director Peter Fowler was very good at explaining what we were working on and its place in the area. Took us on a walk to a recently recognised polissoir or polisher. Big lump of sarsen stone with two distinct grooves probably used for polishing flint axes in the Neolithic. Kept a bit of a secret then so we were asked not to mention it elsewhere. If anybody is interested in the use of a piece of England over a very long period of time read The Land of The Land of Lettice Sweetapple: An English Countryside Explored (Tempus History & Archaeology) by Peter J. Fowler, Ian Blackwell.

avebury-201405_36b-polissoir.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you tried haematite nodules, Cory ? the ones sometimes referred to as kidney iron.

They can be pretty hefty and are a good shape to hold.

Hit agin flint though and at times you strike good sparks :)

Cracking post Boatman :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE