Hamburger Stew

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I picked this recipe up off of a cast iron group on Facebook and I've now made it a couple times.

It's a bit like a corned beef hash with mince instead, very tasty and filling and easy to do over a campfire in a DO.

I did half the quantities apart from the onions, potatoes, water and rice and it filled up 4 hungry bushcrafters with plenty left for seconds :) I also added the rice when I uncovered it after 30 minutes and served up when it was nice and soft.

It's going on the menu for this years meals at Dingly Dell for sure :cool:

1483093_675190719206214_238824498_n.jpg

HAMBURGER BEEF STEW

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds ground beef
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into half inch square chunks
2 cups water
1 pouch of onion soup mix
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Cook beef and onions over medium heat; drain.
Add tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables and rice are tender.
Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It tasted great Steve. :)

One of the best I did was with cod and some lemon and coriander cous-cous. Unsurprisingly, works very well with all dehydrated ingredients too. Plenty of time to get the ingredients re-hydrated and it sucks the flavour into the dried food.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks great - but I would be adding garlic and chilli :)

I did but this is the original recipe for folks to jazz up to their own taste :)

Garlic - yes!
Chilli - no ...every other meal he cooks is a chilli or a curry! :)

Excuse me... you only had one curry cooked by me last year.

As regards the chili... it's the price you pay for letting a Texan cook for you :)

Besides, if you don't want chilli you're always welcome to take over as cook at Dingly Dell :p

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
Burgers, frozen or fresh make very tasty meatballs in pasta or in curries. Best to get them on the summer when the BBQ season is in full swing, cut eatch one (depending on size) in to 8 or 16 then roll them up and freeze them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE