Hairbrush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I've been trying to make a hairbrush out of natural materials for ages. Now I have finely dun it, Its only a prototype and a bit rustic but its quick and simple to make and it does work. Now I've got the principle rite ill make a more polished one.

Its made out of a piece of elder for the handle, with some bits of hazel glued in place with pine resin for the combs, and some natural garden twine for the binding (couldn't be bothered to make some cord for this one) but will for the next one .

Any thoughts are welcome.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Once upon a time I had enough hair to make this kind of thing worthwhile...soon all I will needis to find some beeswax to make some polish!
Nice work!
John

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat idea :)
I've got long hair, brushes can be a nightmare :rolleyes: I've tried teasels..........over an hour later I was still picking bits of the damned things out of my hair, not funny :eek:
The simplest combs are made in one piece, and cut end on into bone, antler or fruitwood. Taper the tines using a sharp knife and it works surprisingly well. The closest description I can think of is a short tined, narrow affro comb.
It'd be interesting to see what your finished one looks like.

Cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On a more serious note than my previos I have seen pictures of a Saxon(?) Bone(?) comb, cut as Toddy says, but of several sections of teeth clamped and pinned into a horizontal , bone(?) support/handle to make a "normal" length comb.
If I get hold of some decent bone I my try this - for my beard!
John

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Toddy said:
Neat idea :)
I've got long hair, brushes can be a nightmare :rolleyes: I've tried teasels..........over an hour later I was still picking bits of the damned things out of my hair, not funny :eek:
The simplest combs are made in one piece, and cut end on into bone, antler or fruitwood. Taper the tines using a sharp knife and it works surprisingly well. The closest description I can think of is a short tined, narrow affro comb.
It'd be interesting to see what your finished one looks like.

Cheers,
Toddy

I had the same experience with teasel :rolleyes: . I have tried carving a comb out of wood as you say but I found the wood a bit too splintery, it wasn't very good wood. I mite try again with some pear wood see if its better, thanks for the tip :) .

John Fenna said:
On a more serious note than my previos I have seen pictures of a Saxon(?) Bone(?) comb, cut as Toddy says, but of several sections of teeth clamped and pinned into a horizontal , bone(?) support/handle to make a "normal" length comb.
If I get hold of some decent bone I my try this - for my beard!
John
Yes I've seen ones like that, they were what gave me the idea for this one. I've never used bone or antler so started thinking about how I could make the same thing out of wood. And I was going to suggest you grew a beard just to make a comb for :p . When I get the bit one rite I'll have to make a small one for my own facial heir :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE