"Hair-Ice" allegedly rare

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
My eye was caught by this article from the BBC. I see this commonly in frost weather and was surprised to find someone saying it's rare. Is this more common in my region, West of Scotland, or do you folks see it often too?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've only ever seen it a couple of times, once on some dead oak leaves and the other coming out of the top of a fence post

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
The first time I saw it I thought it was some kind of fungus
IMG_20130113_115103.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Slightly less common now most folk have to pick up their dog poo, forms on it readily.
Get it quite a bit in East Scotland due to the cold dry in.winter.
Pretty cool stuff.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I did. The strange, candy floss look is caused by a fungus called exidiopsis effusa. If it wasn't for the fungi and its structure, the ice wouldn't form.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Frost feathers on a glass window is literally cool. Not at all funny after 2 weeks.
Local guy here has figured out how to freeze water, bubble free.
In the summer, he uses the ice as a camera lens for some quite dramatic photography.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Frost feathers on a glass window is literally cool. Not at all funny after 2 weeks.
Local guy here has figured out how to freeze water, bubble free.
In the summer, he uses the ice as a camera lens for some quite dramatic photography.

Don't you boil the water for a while to drive off dissolved gas? A lot of folk doing ice sculptures use that method to obtain clear ice.
A couple of years back it was hovering at -20° for a week and the pipes were frozen in the ground. Had to light a fire in a drum over the pipe outside the house to thaw it out. Did mean that I had no water for anything for over a week. Houses here aren't built for that amount of prolonged cold.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE