Had to get the snow chains out.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I bought some snow chains for the car on Thursday night, the shop only had two pairs left and luckily they were the right size for my vehicle.

Well I begrudged coughing up my hard earned cash for something I might never use but I sure needed them today. Once I figured out how to put them on I was out of sticky situation in just a few minutes, passing three stranded buses on the way up the hill.

We tried to help the bus drivers put some grit on the road from a grit box that the council had thoughtfully put on the hill but the snow was too thick and it wasn't working, their tyres would just spin even with the grit under them.

I only had the chains on for about five minutes of driving but I'd never had made it without them. They work a treat and if any of you are in a situation were you might get snowed in they are well worth buying.

bearbait

Couldn't agree more: right gear for the job! Money well spent. It's good to remember to take something to kneel on while you're fitting/removing the chains. AWD with "proppa" tyres is also PFG. AWD + snow chains is the biz, at least until the snow is too deep for the vehicle (and you can't see where the road used to be!).

Alternatively, another three logs on the fire while thinking about venturing outdoors is a wholly adequate substitute...

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i just got some for my trip to Scotland on wednesday, its about an hour from Inverness where we are going for xmas, a log cabbin no less........

hope we make it........lol......

if not i will just enjoy the camping on the A1..........

regards....

chris............................................

avalon

May 31, 2007
South Australia
In the Australian High Country it's a legal requirment that all vehicles carry snow chains when driving in the snow. Might not be such a bad idea in parts of the UK.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hi its a legal requirement in southern Italy as well , they went from 15 -20 c last monday to 60 cm of snow friday and saturday, my sister lives there. maybe it wouldent be a bad idea here BUT if you drive from snow to tarmac you haftoo take them, off ive heard can anyone clarify this ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE