Had a fantastic day today!!! How about you???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I spent today setting up my sight on my airgun in the glorious sunshine then went hunting. I was proped up with my back against a wire fence looking to the left down the fence line waiting for a rabbit to pop its head out. I had a hood over my head. A noise to my right caught my attention I turned to look right, and a deer was stood no more than ten feet away from me it made me kinda jump but fortunately it had its head down feeding so it didn't see me move. I sat and watched it for about 2 mins then just lifted my arm up and he shot off across the field. After that I shot two rabbits and took them home for tea. A great day

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sounds like a winner! Glad you had a good one.

Mine was a walk around an old colliery site, looking at post industrial landscapes, finding fungi, taking pictures, and walking the dog. Found a tremendous spot for a planned camping trip for next weekend too.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Sounds like a winner! Glad you had a good one.

Mine was a walk around an old colliery site, looking at post industrial landscapes, finding fungi, taking pictures, and walking the dog. Found a tremendous spot for a planned camping trip for next weekend too.

Sounds perfect mate. I like photography too natural pictures are by far the most challenging and rewarding. Hope u have a great camp

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Today I went back to the woods in which I camped a few weeks ago and collected more firewood. I saw a grey squirrel. Well, two sightings actually, but I think it was the same one. One ran up a tree and the other, I could hardly believe, was standing completely still on a branch and only as I got closer to inspect it did it scurry away. I've been to many woods, wildlife havens such as Abernethy forest, but I really don't have much experience seeing life in the forest. I've only ever seen two deer in my life, I think, and one of those was when we passed it by car... Today's sightings, however, were a treat as seeing other creatures in the woods gives it another dimension.

Last edited:

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Had a great day too. made a gate from scratch with my volunteers today
u3yzaha7.jpg
started off as a pile of logs this morning. Also has a play with an adze
7e5adypa.jpg
platter still a WIP but impressed with the adze.... Think ill need one of my own.....

Orric

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Tomcoles said 'I shot two rabbits and took them home for tea'. I hope you don't shoot everyone else you invite for tea... :rolleyes:
sorry couldn't resist.
Nice, and cool that you saw that deer so close, very impressive.
Cheers
Alex

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Tomcoles said 'I shot two rabbits and took them home for tea'. I hope you don't shoot everyone else you invite for tea... :rolleyes:
sorry couldn't resist.
Nice, and cool that you saw that deer so close, very impressive.
Cheers
Alex

Ha ha ha the wife would have gone a while ago if that was the case.
As much as I love to shoot I enjoy seeing it. I hunt to eat, which I feel is ok. But I love wild animals.
This may sound strange as some people think hunting is mindless killing which it can be but only if you don't eat what u kill. Having a passion for wildlife makes me a better hunter I kill humanly as I don't want the animal to suffer. Everytime I shoot I see something that I am amazed by. A red kite cleaning up the remains of a rabbit I skinned or a deer at close quarters. A beautiful male pheasant with his harem of lady's. The camo I wear and staying still really allows u to see so much more than u would moving and making noise.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Glad you all had a good day, i on the other hand spent all day in the pouring rain chipping the tree branches i had cut down, then getting rid of the chippings, all this on my birthday !

Rob

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I took mi elderly mum out to the woods this morning, to show her where an old 'folly' existed from the 18th century, near to where she lives. She didnt know it was there. [I took here out the other week to show her an old derelict norman castle, where the fountains were once reputed to have been as grand as the palace of versailles!] Only half an hour from her house. Owned by the water authority now, and no-one ever goes there. Something haunting about the old ruin. Easy to imagine the surrounding moorland, teaming with forest once, and hunts on horseback.
Later, I was throwing the fur covered dummy for the dog to retrieve. Those fox 40 whistles are useless for dog training. Gonna have to get an acme.

Last Sunday, I was at a large table rock where druids supposedly carried out sacrifices. The wood near to it, certainly had a distinct 'feel' about it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE