guyline thightners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 14, 2012
uk
hi all hope this is posted in the correct place???

any way i started sleeping out yesterday just in our field but i went in as i hadn't proparly tensioned my guys and the tarp was going mad with the wind so my question what is a cheap product i can buy off the shelf that would do a good job that i can adjust quickly in the dark? I WOULD RATHER NOT USE THE FIGURE 9 night eyes as i dont have enough moneys atm for 4 of them so any thing very cheap or something i could make out of wood or a peice of steel sheet and a drill?
Cheers Ed

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
There's a sticky on tarp knots ~ here

Personally I make a lot of use of the Farrimond Friction Hitch

Farrimond_friction_hitch.jpg

Pic from here

I've also heard of people (Teepee iirc) using dual rings at the tarp tie-outs ~ I can't remember the name of the knot for the moment, but you feed the line up both rings and back down between them.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The adjustable slipped Guyline knot shown here by Paul Kirtley; http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2011/how-to-tie-an-adjustable-guy-line-knot/

Holds with dyneema and paracord and can be tied easily with mitts or gloves on.

Decorums Farrimind knot looks excellent though and looks even easier to tie with gloves on , I shall be trying that this weekend. Cheers Phil :)
I have used double stainless steel rig rings to make descending rings sets before-works well and will cost a fiver for some 50kg stainless splitrings.

As said above, Prussics are good for keeping lines attached to tarps and providing the adjustablity. Hope this helps :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There's a sticky on tarp knots ~ here

Personally I make a lot of use of the Farrimond Friction Hitch

As good as it gets IMO, although the PK version could probably be done without feeding the bitter end through the loop at all, in which case it's much the same thing IMO.

I've also heard of people (Teepee iirc) using dual rings at the tarp tie-outs ~ I can't remember the name of the knot for the moment, but you feed the line up both rings and back down between them.

I think you're thinking of Trunks:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94901

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Farrimind knot looks excellent though and looks even easier to tie with gloves on , I shall be trying that this weekend. Cheers Phil :)

Try it with a Pile Hitch onto the peg ~ you should then be able to tie off and adjust from the tarp / shelter end :D .

>>> I think you're thinking of Trunks:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94901

Yup, cheers Ged ~ I could remember Pete's input, just not where from :eek: .

Idea 2.

Using two rings:

I got this idea way back when i used to hang my hammock with rap rings. Basically, the zing-it is fed, in a very particular way, through the rings so that, under tension, the rings tighten "trapping" the guy-line.

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

This worked very well and was a doddle to adjust. A bonus being, i could tighten the guy lines from under my tarp :)

However, i did need to pull the peg out of the ground to free up the rings.

Anyway, there you have my ideas. What do you think? Any thoughts/ideas are very welcome :)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
+1 on tautline hitch, free, weightless and easy. I leave them tied on guy lines going to pegs. I do like the look of the Farrimond as a quick release tautline type hitch for a tarp ridge line. Thank you Decorum for the information.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
This all seems a bit complicated
Does nobody else jut use a stick as a peg and either tie off at length or move the peg to tension the tarp?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE