Gurnsey Sweaters...any users and likers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
I am looking at getting a Gurnsey sweater to squirrel away for chilly weather.

It does not have patches at wear spots but it is supposed to be back to front wearable from the description-you can even out the wear over time which should avoid repairs. Also has side slits.

Does anyone here have these and has any verdicts about them as compared to a regular wool sweater?
Monk.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The RNLI still issue them to crew mainly for ceremonies but a lot still wear them regularly. They're incredibly heavy wool and toastie, you're not likely to get a chill wearing one. They appear to last for years too.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have one. They are heavy and densely woven but not as warm as a thick wool sweater. Think of them as a kind of halfway house between a thick sweater and a woven wool garment like a swanndri. They are tough though and deal with rain better than the less densely woven ones.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have one. They are heavy and densely woven but not as warm as a thick wool sweater. Think of them as a kind of halfway house between a thick sweater and a woven wool garment like a swanndri. They are tough though and deal with rain better than the less densely woven ones.

I agree Gereint. Prefer the ordinary sweater with a breathable waterproof jacket when necessary. Certainly not as warm as a normal sweater, less trapped warm air.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
i have a La Tricoteur Guernsey which is one of the better/more traditional makes. I was wearing it in late December as I found it when getting stuff out of a drawer. Much admired for a sweater I reckon is over twenty years old!

And as I don't know anyone on this forum face to face so I can confess that this sweater has never been washed!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I believe the proper ones are worsted rather than woolen spun (ie the fibres are in line rather than spun from across the fibre) which accounts for their heaviness and famous water shedding ability :) If you can get them spun in the oil, washings really better not done unless absolutely neccesary as it removes the lanolin and therefore a good deal of the fabrics inherant waterproof properties, we used to use them when sailing a fair bit as they're amazzzing :)

The trad ones had individual patterns and the owners initials sewn on to identify bodies of sailors who were washed up IIRC. There's extra gussets under the arms for movement- they are a very well worked out design... Toddy would probably be able to give you chapter and verse on them and set any of my comments straight if needed :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Are these same as ganseys turbo girl, as i read online somewhere that ganseys were also individualy patterned etc to help with id of the owner, i was trying to find a good one when i was searching for a quality jumper before Christmas.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks for the wisdom everyone.
Who makes them?

I see there are different companies peddling their sales but who makes a good heavy gurnsey that is worth keeping an eye out for either new or used?

treadlightly,
would you recommend the gurnsey as an outer layer by itself in cold dry weather?

Do you prefer a different type of knitted sweater for the outdoors?

Thanks.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
treadlightly,
would you recommend the gurnsey as an outer layer by itself in cold dry weather?

Yes, if you layered up underneath to suit the temperature. Also, they are not windproof so if it was blowing and cold you would need a windproof layer on top.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
My mates mum has worked for guernsey woollens who make the guernsey for many other people for over fourty years I grew up wearing them not had one for a while but they do last years always out grew them before they wore out growing up

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Are all the gurnseys made out of oiled wool...TurboGirl mentions this or are there unoiled versions available?

How do you recommend washing/taking care of a sweater that has the oiled/lanolin in the wool?

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Are all the gurnseys made out of oiled wool...TurboGirl mentions this or are there unoiled versions available?

How do you recommend washing/taking care of a sweater that has the oiled/lanolin in the wool?
I bet the cheaper ones are standard woolen spun, the next cheapest wil be worsted spun and the most expensive will be in-the-oil/ lanolin. Some might say 'With Lanolin'/ similar but it might have been added afterwards, onto stripped, processed wool. If you want the absolute best, spin your own or easier, find your local spinners guild and see if the nans will make you one in return for trade/ work/ money, if all else fails... Its intensive work, so it won't come cheap ;)

I don't wash a worsted spun oiled jumper in any detergent and I do them by hand, handhot. Its best to not lift it in and out of the water too much when it is wet, the heaviness mishapes it. When I've rinsed out a couple of times, I'd drain it then roll into a bathtowel to carefully squeeze (NOT wring!) the water out. A sweater frame is ideal to dry it on and I bet would be simple to make.... otherwise some kinda frame with netting on and dry flat. However, I keep washing them to a minimum.... last one I had was maybe once every 5yrs ;)

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
TurboGirl,

thanks for those clear wool washing instructions.

Wayland,

so wash instructions are wash once every several years or better not at all;)

I was just remembering a flashback to my uncles' farm. One of the garments they used to use were long wool topcoats/overcoats either British Army greatcoats or long tweed/wool coats that were no longer used for dress up. The wool coats served handy for farm chores and on the hills in drizzle and light rain cold windy weather. The coats would be hung up on a peg near the outer door. Never were washed as far as I can recall but also never smelled either!

Maybe washing wool is overrated. I know a wool sweater I have is reprocessed wool/nylon and after a while it does hold body odour but that can be due to the nylon.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Yup, you're right, nylons surface can break down over time and let dirt and odour in...but not out with airing or washing :)

I forgot to say, coz the wool is spun along its length, it doesn't trap as much air so although more water and windproof, it's not quite as warm as woollen spun :)

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> Wayland, so wash instructions are wash once every several years or better not at all;)

I was just remembering a flashback to my uncles' farm. One of the garments they used to use were long wool topcoats/overcoats either British Army greatcoats or long tweed/wool coats that were no longer used for dress up. The wool coats served handy for farm chores and on the hills in drizzle and light rain cold windy weather. The coats would be hung up on a peg near the outer door. Never were washed as far as I can recall but also never smelled either!

Maybe washing wool is overrated. I know a wool sweater I have is reprocessed wool/nylon and after a while it does hold body odour but that can be due to the nylon.

That's the key, give em a good airing and they'll look after themselves.

The only time that doesn't apply is if they get covered with something that brings it's own smell with it. Fish guts springs to mind for some reason.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE