Gudvangen Viking Market 2015, Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
20037166601_b7e4035d2c_c.jpg

Amazing. What a place.

What do they know about the historical context of the area, I mean, a thousand years ago, was there a real viking village in that spot? Or what? Was it a port....Did they organise their raids from there? Would it have been forested? etc etc

Its just such a beautiful location.

Your new website looks really good btw. Hamish.

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi Fellas, thanks :)

Dave, I think Gudvangen was definitely a norse settlement. I don't know about being a settlement for raids, but there was certainly a viking-age community there. Due to the landscape, it would have mostly resembled much of how it still does today I reckon.

Just found this picture somebody took of me at the market haha, I think I had just smelt/seen the chicken broth being unveiled!

Hamish Half-Goat Odinson by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Fellas, thanks :)

Dave, I think Gudvangen was definitely a norse settlement. I don't know about being a settlement for raids, but there was certainly a viking-age community there. Due to the landscape, it would have mostly resembled much of how it still does today I reckon.

Just found this picture somebody took of me at the market haha, I think I had just smelt/seen the chicken broth being unveiled!

Hamish Half-Goat Odinson by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Only spoilt by the time travelling Dr Who and his white dinner jacket. :lmao:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
uploadfromtaptalk1444741865687.jpg
Somebody, somewhere is having a Toffeecrisp/Babycham! :D
Good picture.
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
What a wonderful thread! I really enjoyed all the lovely pictures :)
I remember the archer on the horse from a small show we did many years ago. I was on the medieval side so I had nothing to do with his part, but he was actually the one that inspired me to buy my own horse bow.

I was at the vikingmarket at Tingvatn this year, but the scenery can´t compare to Gudvangen.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
20037166601_b7e4035d2c_c.jpg

Amazing. What a place.

What do they know about the historical context of the area, I mean, a thousand years ago, was there a real viking village in that spot? Or what? Was it a port....Did they organise their raids from there? Would it have been forested? etc etc

Its just such a beautiful location.

Your new website looks really good btw. Hamish.

I had a conversation with Georg about the site a few years ago.

If I recall correctly, he said the bit they use for the Viking festival is reclaimed land produced using rubble from the construction of a local tunnel.

There may well have been a local settlement in the area though, we didn't discuss that.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
What a wonderful thread! I really enjoyed all the lovely pictures :)
I remember the archer on the horse from a small show we did many years ago. I was on the medieval side so I had nothing to do with his part, but he was actually the one that inspired me to buy my own horse bow.

I was at the vikingmarket at Tingvatn this year, but the scenery can´t compare to Gudvangen.

fantastic, I hope to do more markets there in the future, there is just no place else like it :)

I had a conversation with Georg about the site a few years ago.

If I recall correctly, he said the bit they use for the Viking festival is reclaimed land produced using rubble from the construction of a local tunnel.

There may well have been a local settlement in the area though, we didn't discuss that.

Aye right you are Wayland, it's the same with the qai (sp?) in Flam I think. It is the sort of place you might find a settlement though, being easily accessible by sognefjord which is a major gateway, and having good land for sheep/goats with the mountain pastures.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
They have definitely got Viking age graves in the area and the name of the place looks like it means "Place of the God's" or something like that.
Thor.gif
Odinn.gif

Having driven through there in the past I can see why it might get that name. It's an awe inspiring place.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE