GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! I hate Computers. printers, wifi, software, hardware and

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
How many software engineers does it take to fix a light bulb?

None its a hardware problem ;)
How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
two: one to hold the giraffe and one to fill the bathtub with brightly painted machine tools.

yeah i can identify with the tech issues, i've working in IT since 98 mostly for telco's and ISP's back in the early days i did my digs on the "front line" and i've got the thousand yard telephone stare to prove it. still when alls said and done i suppose i could have ended up in civil service eh?

i have had the odd chap offer me money after sorting out their systems but i've never asked when alls said and done. I do remember once when someone from work got hold of my private mobile and called me up with a work related VPN issue at about half ten at night.
Needless to say they got a propper ear full!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
two: one to hold the giraffe and one to fill the bathtub with brightly painted machine tools.

Indeed :lmao:

How many pschoanalysts does it take to change a lightbulb?

Only one, but the lightbulb has to want to change!

Currently sat here with one of my programme managers explaining why a key consultancy thinks removing a lead consultant two days before the end of UAT is a good idea <sigh>

Red

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester

Brilliant! :lmao:
Currently waiting for HP complaints to get back to me about a case that cost me 3 days lost labour due to them refusing to admit a fault was hardware related as opposed to software. I eventually Went out and bought a new SATA disk for the RAID my self, fitted it solved the problem and i have the logs to prove it ;)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
hah don't talk to be about on site support, like when a company says 4 hour call out for urgent hardware faults and show up 2 days later saying "oh no its 4 hours from when we get the parts in"
and i'm like "my great aunt fannie it is!"

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Currently sat here with one of my programme managers explaining why a key consultancy thinks removing a lead consultant two days before the end of UAT is a good idea <sigh>

Red
Just tell the consultancy that you'll be removing a key portion of the payment, i.e. the money, in response to their removal of the consultant? :D

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
That sounds familiar!

No issues with fixing stuff for the family and close friends but it gets my goat when "friends" of "friends" expect it fixed for nothing :confused:

Try calling you local car garage and ask to speak to a mechanic, then ask him to talk you through stripping down the engine over the phone and putting it back together for a few hours, see how far you get.
I am sure all IT people will identify with this..
Rant over sorry :eek:

I repair computers myself and I HATE when people try picking your brain for info about a subject that you spent hours trying to learn yourself. Heck I am still learning about them when do you ever stop? At times myself I have considered changing jobs cause they are such a pita. I just love when family calls you from a couple thousand miles away and expect you to try figuring out what's wrong with thier system I mean hard enough doing it in person never mind trying to figure it out for people that don't really understand it all no offense to anyone here. But yes I can so relate to what ya said many a times I have wanted to fling my own pc out the window and beat the ever loving crap out of it and a few customers systems as well but as of yet I have restrained myself from that . LMAO

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Lmao father Jack thats funny. I didnt quite get to that stage. I was more annoyed with waiting for 30 mins on hold only when you finally get through the numpty at the other end hits the wrong butting and cuts you off before you have spoken a word!!

Still once I had clamed down I dispensed with said technical support and sorted it myself.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I hate printers... we had someone crack a toner cartridge upstairs once, it just poured tonnes of black all over the carpet so after getting the call i tell them "Leave it alone, i'll get facilities up to clean it with me in a moment, no one is to touch it"
back in the day toner used to be carcenagenic (yay) now its just messy.
so i head up and there's one of the cleaners using a vacuum to suck it all up.....

Fortunatly she's got one of those henry vac's with the filter in it otherwise there'd be a small black cloud flaoting in the office and turning hte inside of peoples lungs a nice shade of black. meh took a little cleaning but we got it all.

on top of that there's *shudder* print solutions. what kind of evil sadistic company sells these things to people? do they honestly expect them to work on every network? its laughable if they work even on the networks they were designed on!

clijoe

Feb 4, 2010
Washington
hah, yeah, indeed, printers are devices from hell, especially the consumer ones. The ink runs out fast, despite not even printing anything, and they just break down fairly quickly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE