Grr - Boot Squeak Problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
SWMBO bought me some new boots for my birthday - in April. They are great and possibly the mosy comfy I've ever had. A couple of weeks ago they started to squeak. Please give me advice on sorting it. I've tried polishing them loads and not polishing them. Nothing seems to work. Help - I don't want to give up on them.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I usually find that the squeak comes from the tongue rubbing against the back of the bits the laces go through (whatever that's called - and I'm sure someone will know!).

I found that it can normally be cured by taking the laces out and putting some polish or beeswax on the tongue and leaving it unrubbed, so it lubricates the tongue and the back of the aforementioned bit with the laces. Helps to keep the tongue supple and waterproof too!

Works for me!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Thanks - I'll try that. Seems to make sense after trying to see where it's coming from. Though can I make them do it without my feet in them? Can I :tapedshut :banghead:

Dust your boots with baby powder - the fine particles get into the cracks where the squeaking is happening, and lubricates the stuck/squeaky areas. You'll just have to put up with the fragrance for a day before it fades away.

It works very well - I use the corn-starch formula, but you can use the traditional baby powder formula.

Cheers,

Mungo

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
It's a bushcraft skill that I've never come across. But any advice on powdering babies? I can see it's something to do with corn-starch beyond that I'm lost.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
My freakin boots do the same but mine is from the heal but gonna try that powder trick anyway. Karremor ksb gore comfy but damn annoying on that one boot!!!:banghead: :banghead:
dave

boots12

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2006
West Yorkshire
if none of the tips work it might be the metal/plastic piece that is fitted under the arch being loose, if that is the case and someone knows a cure, then i can fix my boot.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I have a pair of Raichle boots which are the most comfortable I have owned but the left boot has squeeked from about the second week of owning them!! I will try all these tips tomorrow as it doesnt bother me as much as the people I am walking with!!!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Who'd have thought it. I replaced the laces , cleaned and repolished. I took less time on removing the polish round the laces and tongue and it all worked fine. Looks like I'd been a bit too keen on cleaning them.

So simple. Thanks.

And never had to powder one baby....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE