Growing Yacon Plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All sold......

This is a first for me - and only a very few of these are available so bear with me :)

I can offer some growing Yacon plants to members here

8151208603_a8c7ebef1e_z.jpg

Yacon is a tuber bearing plant from the Andes - originally grown by the Incas. Its a member of the sunflower family with sweet, crisp, tuberous roots. In Brazil a tea is made from the leaves that is, allegedly, antidiabetic.

Yacon tubers are full of fructooligosacharides (FOS). FOS are a subset of inulin sugars - complex fructose polymers that, whilst tasting sweet, are not metabolisable by the human intestine. So all the sugar taste - no digested sugar (useful to diabetics) or weight gain.

The plants get big - 6 to 8 feet tall and produce very large tubers

8183589606_4d0f963ab4_z.jpg

The tubers are delicious - something between the taste of a crisp pear and a water chestnut. Great raw, in stir fries etc. You can also make a sweet, calorie free syrup.

I wrote a detailed explanation of growing the plant and the production of syrup from the plant here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99553

I will pack growing plants in a small bag of compost inside a box - they will need potting on when received.

The plants are £9 each (they are £12.90 plus postage on realseeds -- and that is for tips that aren't yet growing), plus first class postage at £3.

Red

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Do these grow from seed BR as shipping to me would cost a fortune. I have another species called Jerusalem Artichokes and they are great.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've not know them grow from seed but I guess they must...I have only grown them from tubers. I would not ship growing plants to you anyway - they would likely die in transit. I would happily send you some dormant tubers in the Winter though. They would not need so much packaging.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No problem Gibbsy - all sold for now. I have a few more that may germinate - if they do, I'll start a new thread :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay - now that we are into Spring planting and people have confirmed the plants I shipped earlier have arrived okay. I can offer a few more of these.

I have a maximum of 10 plants for sale - they will be packed carefully and protected by meadow hay inside a shipping box, but, as mentioned above, they will need to be potted up on receipt and then kept frost free until planted out. Mine are going out in two weeks.

Please shoot me a PM if you want some - there will be no more this year I'm afraid.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When you lift the plant and eat / use the storage tubers, there are also small "growing starts" (tuber for next years plants)

You divide these, plant, keep totally frost free over Winter, and about one in two maybe one in three make a new plant. You can certainly get several viable plants off one donor and still eat all the storage tubers - useful plant that way - you should never need to buy any more

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'll have one red, Shelly will make the point that i seem to buy stuff for her to plant and I should do it myself, she's got a point I know :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've just boxed up a Yacon and they are growing fast. I can send out the remaining ones for another week, but after that they will be too developed to transport safely, so if anyone wants one of the last few, let me know asap

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE