Ground rules for canoeing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
Hi a simple question or not?
can you paddle on open water in britain without permission
can you travel up and down canals without a form
lakes?
whats the rules
can i purchase or build a canoe and paddle any were if not whats the rules?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
In Scotland, thanks to the new land access laws, you can take unpowered water craft (eg a canoe) on and body of water without requesting permission. There are some exceptions for Lochs that are there for drinking water but these are the exception.

So in short, in Scotland you can paddle anywhere :D

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Sadly access to our waterways can be difficult. The sea is also avalable and is where i do my kayaking. The rivers of our continental cousins offer some excellent paddling and bushcraft opportunities.

jwmagee

Oct 10, 2004
Hayling Island
can you paddle on open water in britain without permission - not unless it's classed as an ancient navigation (ie historical), land owners either side of the banks own half the river bed, so as such in law they control access to the water.

can you travel up and down canals without a form lakes - You need a British Waterways licence for canals, this is included in the BCU membership fee.

can i purchase or build a canoe and paddle any were if not whats the rules? - you can paddle in the sea (and true tidal rivers) no problem, trespass in a canoe is a civil matter so it's not a police involving incident, though still illegal. Problems occur where arrangements have been made to allow canoeing at certain periods and this is broken by paddlers, mostly this relates to well fished areas as paddles sports are peceived by fishermen and landowners (those earning cash from selling the fishing rights) to be damaging to fish stocks, which is a load of rubbish.

Try the BCU website above as it tells you loads, it may also be worth searching the BCU site to find a local club who will be able to help you.

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE