Grizzly Man heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is Grizzly Man the one where he gets eaten at the end ?

I've only seen a duff copy of it so would like to see it again

Yes, that's the one. It's a lesson in how mental illness and a failure to face reality can be terminal.

Another one is Into the Wild, which is also basically a true story. After graduating from university, a young man abandoned his possessions, gave his savings to charity and hitchhiked to Alaska to live in the wilderness. He didn't know much about what he was doing and didn't understand the country, so he died. No grizzlies, though. The movie was based on a bestselling book by Jon Krakauer.

Werner Herzog (sp???) is an amazing producer/director and this must rank as one of his best films.

When I first saw a clip of it I honestly thought it was a spoof until I saw the credits. My buddies kids call me "Mr Bampot"...but by heck after seeing that film my good lady a psychiatric nurse said that I've got a long way to go! :D

It really is a horific ending but tastefully done. Very very sad but expected nonetheless.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
My programme guide says "Project Grizzly" 21.00-22.10
Project Grizzly is a 1996 National Film Board of Canada documentary about the lifelong project of Troy Hurtubise, a man who has been obsessed with researching the Canadian grizzly bear up close, ever since surviving an early encounter with such a bear.

The film documents Hurtubise's diligent work to improve his homemade "grizzly-proof" suit of armour, his efforts to test its resilience, and his forays into the Rockies to track down the grizzlies he dreams of meeting. The film manages to capture the humor of the project as well as its sincerity. It is directed by Peter Lynch and produced by Michael Allder.

Then followed by "Stranded in Grizzly country" 22.10-23.15

The tale of Blake Stanfield and his father Neil, whose rafting holiday on an Alaskan river hits a snag when they slam into an ice shelf and lose the raft. It's almost as if they're trying to get into a gripping Saturday-night drama doc: they haven't got a radio or a phone, Neil's 65 with a dodgy ankle, the place is bristling with bears, and there's nobody else about because the rafting season hasn't started yet. (It hasn't started yet because everyone else is waiting for the ice shelves to melt.) As Blake decides whether to stick with his ailing dad or risk hiking 60 miles for help, we're treated to the usual suspense, terror, relief and tears in that order, as superb narrator Zam Baring outlines a series of outrageous misfortunes with understated relish.

No mention of Grizzly Man :0(

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
The story of Christopher McCandless, which is the person in Into the Wild seems to be a rather contraversial one - initially told as that of a naive, idealistic person who dies because of his "silly" ideas, it seems that there is evidence that in fact he was quite unfortunate rather than silly and that he may have been eating a plant easily mistaken for another.

Sorry for being vague - I am reciting from memory but will go and check up. I believe he was eating a plant which fills you and really gives the feeling of having eat something nutritious, but which in fact had no nutritious value and may have had additional harmful effects.

He seems to have been the perfect example to hold up to the world - not of a person who did not know the outback and perishes because of it, but his story seems to have been played up to put down and ridicule his ideals. In other words there seems to be a political agenda behind the treatment of his story. The key being, here was a rich kid who gives away his money and rejects modern society - such a kid must be ridiculed.

Anyway - there is loads of stuff written about him - all along the same vein, but there was one serious article where the author had examined "forensic" evidence at the place where he died and the autopsy report and came to the conclusion that the kid knew more about living in the Alaskan wilds than anyone wants to give him credit for.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I watched a film about Timothy Treadwell a while ago and after seeing it I have to say that I'm very much on the bears side...

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
harryhawk said:
The film documents Hurtubise's diligent work to improve his homemade "grizzly-proof" suit of armour, his efforts to test its resilience, and his forays into the Rockies to track down the grizzlies he dreams of meeting. The film manages to capture the humor of the project as well as its sincerity. It is directed by Peter Lynch and produced by Michael Allder.
I think I know who that is... I saw something about his grizzly suit but I wasn't too impressed with it. Sure it could protect you from impacts and maybe some clawing (idk I didn't see it) but you could barely move in that thing. If the bear actually did decide to try to eat you, it could just tip you over and eventually knaw the helmet off. Also, what exactly was the point of it? I mean I doubt people would be interested in going for hikes in it just in case they saw a bear so I don't think it would sell too well... Also I saw another show with him in it where he makes a full suit of armour for soldiers that covers your entire body and has little gadgets on it, you know important stuff for soldiers, like a salt shaker that's built into your shoulder pad. I think he figured it would be about $6000 to make one suit and for some reason he thought the military would buy it... I mean the military today can't even afford to give all their soldiers bulletproof vests let alone a $6000 suit. I bet it get's pretty hot in that thing too, just what you want when your fighting a war in a desert... He spent alot of money on it in the hopes that the military would buy it and they didn't so now he's poor and he has a family and everything, I guess he didn't think that through...

I also saw that thing about Timothy Treadwell and I don't remember what it was he was trying to acomplish but it didn't seem like the best idea to me... Getting really close to grizzly bears over and over again, what does that do? It takes away their fear of humans and probably makes them a bit hungry too... I mean it's sad that he died and that his girlfriend died too but what did they expect to happen?

Into the wild guy though... Umm Alexander supertramp or something. Not his real name but still. It's an interesting story, although he wasn't very well prepared, he managed to do something that alot of people dream of doing and maybe if he had more skills, he might have survived. I think he died from eating some wild pea type of thing. It's poisonous but it looks very similar to something which is fine to eat so just bad luck I guess...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE