Grizzly Heart

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
[/QUOTE]I felt sorry for Amie Huguenard but on the other hand I can't really blame a bear for killing Timothy Treadwell as I imagine anyone who spent much time with him would be tempted to do the same. [/QUOTE]

Watching the film, I am ashamed to say I willed the bear to hurry up.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Tengu said:
Jojo, you are underestimating animals if you think they are in any way emotionaly different to people.However some nutter playing with cubs and facing down adults makes better TV, doesnt it?
Hi Tengu. This just show the limitations of the written word :) I certainly was not trying to say that. I am pretty certain that most animals do have "emotions" for want of a better word, just like we do, fear, pleasure, love for our offsprings, anger when threatened,etc...
I watched a programme on the african elephant a couple of weeks, in Kenya I think it was: there the Masai People believe that elephants are the only animal who have a soul. What is a soul? How can we human tell whether any animal have one or not? Its probably impossible to say for sure, whether any animal has a soul or not. Is the soul just an intellectual concept anyway to explain that we are aware of ourselves :confused:
In the absence of proof, I am inclined to think that some animal do indeed have one. (no doubt I am going to be mauled for saying this :D )
What is a nutter :eek: ?? I have for many years (too many) worked in psychiatry and met a few real nutters.. and I don't think that naturalist is one. What he is, is someone who does not follow the trend and puts himself where his mouth is. Not doubt he accepts that in doing what he is doing, there is always the risk to be attacked and killed by the animals he is trying to help in some way.
In my job, it happened a few time that I felt in danger from some of my patients, but it's just something you have to accept, its part and parcel of the job.

Hi Old Jimbo. I had a good look at your site and Its real good.
Old Jimbo has experiences that I have not got( and he lives in British Columbia, the devil! :) !, I wish I was there rather than here :rolleyes: ) he has been in the situation where his life was endangerd and yet he , for whatever reasons, did not kill.
All animals, including us, need to protect ourself from harm, and sometimes that entails killing.
As for me, I can only think intellectually, (because I really don't know how I would react faced in the same situation) and I think I would try to kill rather than being killed myself.
I don't have a problem with the hunter who goes out with respect and acceptance that the rules are differents, the animal he hunts may well get him before he gets the animal.
My biggest objection is the wholesale exploitation and destruction of species by humans. We really have no excuse, we know the damage we cause and yet we carry on. We are fouling the only nest we have got (the Earth) as such a speed that I can't see that it will take very long before we suffer big time.

Some scientist (probably a nutter :D ) some while back came up with the idea that we humans will be on this planet for at least some 2 millions years because that was the length of time other species have lasted before they became extinct! I can't see that happening somehow. Maybe I am just a pessimist! :D

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I regularly play in a region that is premium bear habitat, and lived in it for much of my life. I have personally encountered two black bears on foot, at a distance and never seen a grizzly when I wasn't in a car. I have come across steaming piles of grizzly scat spaced along the same trail we were hiking, and (on another occasion) found bear prints metres from our tent when we woke in the morning.

I'd recommend "Bear Attacks" by Stephen Herrero. He is a bear biologist with the University of Calgary that has compiled this great resource on bear psychology and human encounters. There are some interesting statistics that mostly point to surprising bears as one of the prime cause of encounters. An example is that there has never been a recorded attack on anyone travelling in groups larger than 5. Ever.

What it boils down to is that if the bear feels threatened (surprised, standing on a carcass, mother and cubs), the odds of an encounter are high. That's not to say that anybody gets hurt, but you will see them and they might bluff charge or all out attack.

In the end, I don't worry very much about the bears. The cougars, on the other hand; There's a predator that will stalk you with the intent to kill you and eat you. And they're very, very good at it. Good thing they only generally go for critters about the size of a dog or child. Good thing for me, anyways.

Here the bear population is so high that many lose territory and are pushed into town where they cause trouble ripping through garbage and fruit trees. One of my friends heard a commotion in the kitchen and thought it was her aged mother falling. She went rushing in and a black bear removed her screen door escaping.. The sad part is that town bears have to be shot because there's no free territory in the bush to put them.
We have deep gullies running through town so we see bears, moose popping up around houses all the time.
I see a decline in big grizzlies which I can only attribute to poaching. Years ago when hunting was legal, there were lots of big bears around as evidenced by tracks and sightings. I haven't even seen track evidence of huge ones in years. Now I've had lots of close calls on heart attacks on coming up from fly fishing to see huge tracks where a grizzly has come very close to watch without my suspecting anything - but I really miss them.
Cougars are bad news if they go predatory on pets - since they work up from there. I'd suspect that it's more of a problem than most people realize, since many are removed fast when people get scared for their kids.
Human predatory behavior in bears is scary. I was very unwilling to accept that it existed since bears will sneak up close to look people over. Unfortunately I've come to think otherwise. I've built up quite a lot of what I thought was pretty good knowledge about bears. I've spent lots of time watching them over decades, but then something happens which proves my conclusions wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE