Grey wool cloak, toile.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Frankly, this one scunnered me :sigh: Trying to sew charcoal grey wool has been an exercise in frustration; especially since it was a toile (trial piece) for another cloak. Even trying to get photos was an effort.

The wool is beautiful, soft, not Winter weight, but late Spring through to early Autumn. Showerproof, not windproof, but has been boil washed and tumble dried hot and did not shrink, and has safely passed the burn test. It will not flare.
However, it's a soft twill woven wool, and it's been worse than trying to herd cats. I haven't turned up the hem, but it's been securely stitched and will not fray (I'll put in a reel of matching thread for the new owner to stitch it up if desired, but it really doesn't need it). I'll also put in a blanket pin to use as a fastening.

This cloak was a toile to figure out if I could really hide pockets in the front facings. The eventual owner is going to have fun :rolleyes: playing with them :)

It measures 99cms from the seam at the back neck to the hem. It would fit a very small, slim, adult or a child of about 4'9" / 140cms tall, or so. It flares beautifully when worn, meant to be slightly longer at the back, so that there's no trip up problems, and would be a comfortable over blanket at night.

This one is being sold for the cost of the wool and postage. £18 delivered if paid by paypal or bank transfer.

8882938934_18e010bee5.jpg

8882318687_49a6dd33d7.jpg

8882319717_db4fc74775.jpg

8882942676_49ffc935e5.jpg

8882944142_469d2374c3.jpg

8882937378_93f846c180.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

cheers,
Toddy

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Lovely work Mary :)

Truly a gorgeous cloak, looks like the perfect evening/round the fire wear :)

Some skills there lass :)

How much would a similar one cost for a 6'3 bloke? 19" shoulder, 49" chest?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on the wool you choose :D
I have some absolutely brilliant black barathea, but this lot cost £32 a metre.
We can get good wool for between £12 and £14 a metre though, and if we chance ebay, then sometimes we do even better :D

Upfront, I hate sewing the endless hems of wide flared cloaks :sigh: good melton doesn't need hemmed for a cloak though :approve:.......and before anyone says that, "Oh, it's not that bad !", ....40 foot of hem is 40 foot of herringbone stitching that takes me hours to do properly :( and I'm expensive. Accept the zigzag :D

Before real life got kind of stressed, I promised Maddave a bushshirt tutorial. I have the patterns cut out and ready to post to him and two others. I'd like to get that out of the way before we start another one. However, if you're up for being the example :) then we can talk about it in a little while ?

atb,
Mary

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Whatever wool you think would suit would be fine :)
I run hot, so what most folk would wear for spring /autumn would suit me fine for year round. By that i mean i'd not need it in summer, would be more than comfortable in spring/autumn and it would be warm enough in winter.
Dark grey to black( more grey than black) would be my choice. I'm not a fan of coloured clothing for some reason.
Not bother about how the hem stitching would be done, so long as it wont fray, its perfect. Fashion sense is completely lost on me. :)

I'm game for being an 'example' lol :)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Out of curiousity (and some hope) would it fit a slim woman of around 5' or is a 4'9" child about it?

Cheers!

Huon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well it would go on, but it wouldn't sit well at her shoulders I suspect. It hangs just above my knees, and I'm a well rounded 5'2".
It really is a toile; I was playing around with a semi-circular cloak and trying to see if I could create facings from the piece that would hide pockets in the turn back. The answer is yes, but it is a semi-circular cloak, and by it's very nature that means that most of the volume is over the body and at the hem. I think it would gather over an adult's shoulders and flare open at the front. I aim to make cloaks that fasten and lie tidy at the front facings. This is why the circular and semi circular ones have problems. Humans aren't circular :D The cloak needs tailored and fitted to sit properly.

This one's quite nice, it really should have more stitching to hold down the front facings if I'm being picky, but as a toile, I'd done enough to see how my idea both worked and didn't. It's not the ideal one for an adult. For a boy child who just needs it to run around the Moot site or similar, and be safe near fires, it's more than fine though. That's why it's priced just to cover the fabric and the postage costs.

cheers,
Mary

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely work and if my little boy wasn't such a shortie that would be perfect. I hope you keep making them for when is a bit older.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I will measure my oldest boy tonight. If it is about right size wise. I will take it.....

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent; I'll put first dibs on your name Pignut :)

It could be shortened quite easily, or if you're up for it, and I meant it about putting in a reel of thread, you could turn it up so it could be let down as he grows.
I just have too many other things to do; I'm off to the hospital in a little while to visit my Uncle again, and the thought of sitting with this dark wool and sewing it, just really does not appeal.

atb,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My apologies, I ought to have edited that. I don't sell very often on the forum and I simply forgot.

Yes, this cloak sold very quickly :)

I'll edit the header, thank you for letting me know.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pignut sent me a photo of his son playing in it :D He looked like a happy kid :cool:
I sent some scraps of the wool with the thread and they made a tab fastening with an antler toggle, it really looked 'right' :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE