Greetings from southern France

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 12, 2014
Nice, France
Hi all, I'm hylarborea, a pun on the european tree frog (I'm French and I like hammocking)

I'm an expat who came back to France after 20 years and started to explore the lesser know parts of my place of origin Provence and the Alps until one find night where I got lost at 1900m and spent the night shivering. The following days I'd start reading on survival and discovered bushcrafting which later became my ideal. After reading John Lofty Wiseman's book, I've discovered Ray Mears and Les Hiddins the Bush Tuckerman and the many high quality videos some of you put on youtube. I became a hammock fan and started exploring the old abandoned villages and fortifications left in the Alps. But it's rare to find anyone in bushcrafting here, most people are into fast paced hiking and try to get as many miles as they can during the day so they can enjoy a hot cup of cocoa in town faster. I prefer to brew my tea alone in the woods listening to birds, taking pics of wild hogs or deers, read a good book while swatting mozzies. If you want local info on the Cote d'Azur, the French or Italian Alps I could help.

I'm off to find a suitable avatar and see how I could link some pics.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice forum username, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good avatar picture. :)

Welcome, a beautiful part of the world you come from, I have friends in the South, fairly near Roussillon and Apt, I love going to visit, always swear I'll move there but never do of course.

Aug 12, 2014
Nice, France
I did some really nice singletrack VTT routes on the plateau above the Gorges Des Loup a few summers back. Quite quickly becomes quite sauvage inland there.

Ah yes, I see where it is. There is also an easy hike to do in the scorching hot summer, it's a service path that follow a long water pipe on one of the sides of those gorges. You walk on a narrow pathway that often becomes underground as the pipe goes inside tunnels. Those tunnels are always flooded (heel high) with fresh cool water dripping from the pipe. Best is to go with canoyning / canoyneering shoes and appreciate splashing your feet in it.
not my pictures but it's that exact same spot:
http://esteban13000.pagesperso-orange.fr/Sejour-Nice/index2.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE