Greetings from Dresden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
Just wanting to say hi and a bit about myself :)

My interest in bushcraft has slowly been escalating in recent years. I would imagine Mr. Mears was the start of it mostly. I remember being absolutely mesmorised watching his programmes when I was younger.

Then I started to travel, starting in Europe, spreading to the other side of the planet and now back in Germany. It's been the last 3 years in New Zealand and Australia where my interest in bushcraft was rekindled with a fervour previously unknown.

The green, forest encrusted, mountain speckled jewel that is New Zealand was so astonishing in its beauty that I simply had to be a part of it and gradually started spending more and more time camping out there.

Then in true traveller fashion for this part of the world, i found myself spending the following year in Australia. Completely taken aback by the astronomical enormity of the place. It is vast. I feel for many a backpacker there is an empty, nothingness to the landscape. But here you can truly find solitude. And I embraced it whole heartedly. Not to mention, the fishing here is fantastic!

This was all maybe a year ago, I have since spent 3 months walking and camping through Spain and have currently come to somewhat of a siesta in Germany. Whilst here, I have been virtually everyday in the forest learning something new. My tree and plant I.D was terrible, so starting in late winter until now, I have been increasing my knowledge. Yesterday harvesting nettles, eating soup and today making cordage. Unable to afford a strop, yet finding no need to buy one as the birch polypore provides that :D Needing the strop because I started carving utensils and faces out of birch with an opinel... etc etc

With the help of this forum I have found a hobby which fits perfectly with my lifestyle, doesn't cost the earth to participate in. Is hugely rewarding and I can't think of a better way of spending my time right now. :cool: Thanks guys

Hopefully if the weather calms down Im gonna pit roast a chicken this week... pics to follow ;)

Jonny

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hello and welcome.

Dresden is possibly my favourite German city, giant slabs of iron covered in various types of fried meat brought to your table with a waste bin sized mug of beer to wash it down. :)

Last edited:

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
Tried posting this yesterday, but my internet connection has been playing up. I'll try again..

I thought I would use this thread as an opportunity to test out posting a photo for the first time.

Here we have a fish caught off the rocks, somewhere off the west coast of Australia. I had to pull it in by hand because my line got taffled up in the reel!

197862_4667047909414_774100258_n_zps085c0a12.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE