Greetings from a leatherworker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
Hi All

I sort of ended up on the site as a few of the other posters on the British Blades forum had links to here & it seemed interesting

I am a full time leatherworker, since 2004; been a leatherwork amateur for about 20 years, the last 12 becoming more & more seriously involved in leatherwork. Sometimes I trade at Bisley, the Midland Game Fair & I did the Wilderness Gathering a couple of years ago which I really enjoyed (though I never got far from my workbench!!)

I do a lot of shooting, archery when I find the time & have quite a good reference library for all sorts of outdoor activities

Hoping to share knowledge & skills & help a few new leatherworkers into the craft

Always willing to give advice, look forward to chatting to you as & when I can & seeing your work posted on the boards

Jon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to BcUK :cool:

Sounds as though you'll fit right in; looking forward to the conversations.

cheers,
Toddy

hi Jon
at the wilderness where you making pouches etc if so i think my mate had one done for a Multi tool
you recommended and fitted 'Lift the Dot' fixing if so where can i get some siutable for up to 3mm leather i did fine some on the net but cant find em again lots of screw studs and thin fabric fixings

are you goin this year if so how bout a master class :D :D

ATB

Duncan

PS sorry it it wasn't you:rolleyes: welcome to BCUK :D

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Welcome!

You seem to have come to leatherwork the route I did.

One of the best moves I've ever made was signing up for a handsewen leatherwork class at Cordwainers College and simply to learn how to stitch, make scope covers and small rifle ammo pouches!

Sadly all they teach today is design rather than the making of stuff.:(

Cheers

DSC02234.jpg

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Hi and welcome,you`llbring a mass of different information to the forum i`m sure.We from all different backgrounds arrive at one place,like a mass gathering to share and enjoy in our spoils of knowladge in nature ,bushcraft and the finer,arts such as leather craft,something i have never done but i think is amazing.

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
hi Jon
at the wilderness where you making pouches etc if so i think my mate had one done for a Multi tool
you recommended and fitted 'Lift the Dot' fixing if so where can i get some siutable for up to 3mm leather i did fine some on the net but cant find em again lots of screw studs and thin fabric fixings

are you goin this year if so how bout a master class :D :D

ATB

Duncan

PS sorry it it wasn't you:rolleyes: welcome to BCUK :D

Hi Duncan

YES - that was me

I have LOADS of the Lift the Dots - if it'll help I'll work out a price & send you a set?

Will TRY to get there this year, but will need to sort out the logistics of that 1st (distance from Edinburgh, who else I know that is going, etc.)

PM me if I can be of use

Jon

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
Welcome!

You seem to have come to leatherwork the route I did.

One of the best moves I've ever made was signing up for a handsewen leatherwork class at Cordwainers College and simply to learn how to stitch, make scope covers and small rifle ammo pouches!

Sadly all they teach today is design rather than the making of stuff.:(

Cheers

Hi

I'd certainly agree there!!

BEST move I made in regards to my leatherwork was finding a friendly (mad) saddler in the course of my building up my tool collection...
Bought a few things from him - and he offered to teach me hand-sewing for free. Of course, him showing me meant I then got up to a decent standard very quickly (wasn't exactly a novice prior to that) = he then had me in the saddlers doing minor tack repairs (for which I got paid) & he could do the saddle fitting & re-flocking etc for which he got paid a lot more than if he'd spent his own time doing just the tack

Coincidence IS though - I almost did the same Saddlery course at Walsall as him, but having just done a 3 year Degree I'd had enough of such things. Pity, as we'd have been in the same class!

The Walsall College has since closed, which is a huge tragedy.

Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE