Greeting from Somerset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
Hi I am Dave, newly subscribed....I live close to Yeovil with my lovely wife Emma. We're aspiring smallholders as well as bushcrafters, and my interests span the full range of self-sufficiency and 'living lightly' issues, including off-grid (we're not - yet), small livestock, beekeeping, lightweight camping, basic bushcraft, etc.

Looking forward to meeting you all, and hopefully to learning something!

David

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Hi Dave,

I'm in Yeovil too - there are a growing number of us now. Keep an eye out for the rest of us - sure we're due some kind of meet up soon. As somebody who is also starting out on the self-sufficiency route I expect I'll be learning from you too.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
A big hello and welcome...

There are a few of us Somerset dwellers here and we do try to meet regularly, in t pub or woodland areas.

Please do feel free to join in as much as you would like, it is always nice to meet and talk to new people.

J

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
I'd be happy to meet up some time (although it has to be said, we're not raving socialites!), do the meets appear on the forum? Or is there a separate distribution list somewhere?

D

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
I've got a fleece and outer from Oswald Bailey and I have to say the quality is really poor. Will buy a decent one from (maybe) Blacks next time. Has anyone else experience of OB (vs Millets, for example)?

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
OB staff tended to be more friendly, specially in Yeovil, range tends to be better for gear selection. I get a lot of fleece stuff from peacocks just next door to millets

davidpopely

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 10, 2010
Somerset UK
I've always found the staff in OB *and* Millets to be a pretty friendly and knowledgeable bunch. Thanks for the Peacocks tip. Next buy really needs to be waterproof overtrousers though.....

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
The Mrs gets all her brewing stuff from wilkinson
and if you have any livestock, very good and cheap feed place NE of yeovil on way to somerton

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I've got a fleece and outer from Oswald Bailey and I have to say the quality is really poor. Will buy a decent one from (maybe) Blacks next time. Has anyone else experience of OB (vs Millets, for example)?

No real complaints about OB from me. I find that mountain warehouse are pretty good - go to the big one in Clark's Village in Street as it's cheaper than the high street one in Yeovil. Also it's worth a look in Mole Valley as they do loads and loads of bushcrafter suitable stuff. I steer clear of Millets and Blacks unless the stuff is on sale as I think it's too much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE