Greenhouse Staging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

When I moved from a half plot allotment to a full plot, I scored a greenshed (a greenhouse with the northerly half turned into wood). I need to add some staging and would welcome suggestions. The greenshed is 12x8', and I'm thinking of two 4-foot stages with room for a seed tray rack. Two-tier seems like a better idea than one-tier. I'm not bothered about material - wood or aluminium is fine. I'd prefer slats to trays on the basis that I can add plastic trays if I want trays instead of slats.

I'd consider making the staging from wood, but it might not save much compared to something like this...

http://www.woodpeckerjoineryonlines...-21-wide-treated-folding-staging/prod_35.html

Although shipping is another 40 quid, so £150 in total.

Suggestions?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd use roofing batten and upcycled pallet wood for this; cheap, abundant, rotproof as they come and very easy to knock up.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a green house kit.....and then got a heck of a shock when I priced staging :sigh:

I looked around and then bought a couple of those polythene greenhouses, the slim ones with zip fronts that have four or five shelves in them. Iirc I paid under £20 for each of them, but they each gave me one three rack shelf unit and a two rack one. I bought two and that joined together gave me three three rack staging units and a bit left over. I later on bought another one that doesn't quite match, but that gave me enough to make five units in total. Three along one side, two along the other fitted in against the potting bench. All for about the price of one staging unit at normal prices. All strong and stable and they've lasted years now and are still rock solid :D

Like these....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-TIER-GA...239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item565e76a10f

The funny shaped top pieces actually made quite good cloches too :D so no waste.
The poles are powder coated steel, while the brackets are heavy moulded plastic. The shelves are wire mesh with supporting wires running along their lengths.
Tidy :D

atb,
Mary

N

Nomad

Hadn't thought of using decking. Should have, considering I made some planters last year when B&Q had a deal on 6x1 decking in 8-foot lengths (4 quid a bit)...

attachment.php

1.2m long, 0.5m wide, and 0.6m high. The legs are treated CLS about 1.5x2.5. Some sort of outdoor or decking screws.

Bits to make another three...

attachment.php

The set...

attachment.php

They worked out at 23 quid each including the screws and suitably-pongy creosote substitute.

No problems with dimensions (I do 3D CAD for a living), so I'll look into decking. In fact, it occurs to me that I've got a fair bit left over after the plot move - I made a load of frames for beds for the half plot and some are probably surplus now, and also have plenty of post-shaped timber lying around, so I might be able to get away with doing this without spending anything.

Aye, that sounds like a plan. :)

N

Nomad

Something like this...

attachment.php

1200 long, top is about 650 deep (25mm gaps), and currently at 900 high. I might adjust the height. Top battens cut a little short and chamfered...

attachment.php

I'll build one and see how it feels for bracing.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks good - mine are VERY over engineered. We gathered that when my wife found me and my 15 stone buddy sat on a single unit.

At her puzzled look my mate poured another beer and said "stress test" :)

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
I used a large plasterboard pallet for the staging in my greenhouse. With a coat of wood preserver its been there over 5 seasons and is still going strong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE