Greenforce ' meat '

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone tried this ? I thought it maybe a useful thing to experiment with for longer trips where refrigeration isn't an option but you still get those 'meat' cravings?

Reactions: Fusty

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My German isn't good enough to understand any of that!
I've been using burger mixes for years, and they are very good. Granoise (May have got that name wrong, but its something like that) has been my go to for years...probably since the 70's
Hard to find nowadays, but any health food shop does some form of burger mix. Usualy vegetarian, but if you find a good one they taste very good and I don't miss the actual meat.

That beard with the middle missing....
Looks like his headphones slipped a bit :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Plant protein in various forms can be bought in any grocery store. They do not taste quite like beef but are not bad, can be spiced up to anything one wants.

Reactions: TeeDee

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Soya upsets my tummy.

Quorn is good; even my delicate stomached Father can eat that with no ill effects.

I would be dubious about anything else.

Reactions: Spirit fish

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I quite often eat meat, but I'm not set on it and fully realise energy/water and supply chain implications of bringing beef/whatever from Australia over here compared to vegetables.
To be fair I used to live on a hillfarm and we produced beef with water that fell from the sky so it doesn't all have to be so bad.
I also drink coffee and that uses a HUGE amount of water to produce a kilo of coffee.

Every one of us can and should do better, its a process and given the right guidance we can help out a bit.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
FMG.....

I'm just suggesting it as a possible change of ration if one is going camping for a few days and want a 'meaty' type meal.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Those of us of a certain age may remember "sosmix". We used that 50 years ago. Dry powder. I think vegetable based. Reconstituted with water and fried it tasted almost, but not quite, entirely unlike sausages. But not bad for all that. I've just Googled & its still made!

Reactions: TeeDee

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
So far I understood him right, he likes it very much and doesn't care that it causes that you look after consumption of a larger amount of the stuff approximately like a monkey.

I think he might also live in Berlin and here most people look pretty weird anyway. Me too, by the way. Some people told me for example I would look like a duck.

Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmm... sounds like nothing quite like this is in the stores in UK Härkis. There is another one made from oat, very similar. They are made to like like meat but are not.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I like Linda McCartney burgers as a close-ish meat alternative. Now we all know that meat production is relatively inefficient (multiple Kg of, usually soya, feed to produce 1Kg of meat) so why is veggie/vegan food more expensive? I was looking at vegan chorizo and it's ~3x the price of genuine meat chorizo. What gives?

EdS

Those of us of a certain age may remember "sosmix". We used that 50 years ago. Dry powder. I think vegetable based. Reconstituted with water and fried it tasted almost, but not quite, entirely unlike sausages. But not bad for all that. I've just Googled & its still made!
I used to love the burnt crunchy bits as a kid.

I wouldn't eat meat burgers back then.... Didn't like the texture

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like Linda McCartney burgers as a close-ish meat alternative. Now we all know that meat production is relatively inefficient (multiple Kg of, usually soya, feed to produce 1Kg of meat) so why is veggie/vegan food more expensive? I was looking at vegan chorizo and it's ~3x the price of genuine meat chorizo. What gives?
Actually meat production is remarkably efficient when carried out in small, mixed, farming operations. An example is our (currently 80+) chickens living in an orchard where soil cultivation would destroy tree roots. Our home cured bacon comes from rare breed pigs raised in woodland where they do great work turning soil, eating acorns, mast etc. Monoculture vegetable production kills every living plant, insect & tree over hundreds of acres. If that's efficiency, I want no part of it.

Industrialised farming and food production requires intensive land use - animal or vegetable - and that's a huge threat because it fights nature at every turn.

Why is veggie or vegan food expensive? It isn't if you mean vegetables. If you mean ultra processed meat substitutes, the money goes on processing rather than the ingredients.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Soya upsets my tummy.

Quorn is good; even my delicate stomached Father can eat that with no ill effects.

I would be dubious about anything else.
Soy creates oestrogen and reduces testosterone in men i stay away from it there's plenty studies to back this to

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE