Green wood questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi all, I am very slowly learning how to carve things from green wood. I have 2 questions really and any info is appreciated as always.

1. I have aquired some tree branches that came down in the snow. It has been left outside in approximately 3ft lengths for the last 3 weeks. I am not sure about the type of tree but it is a hardwood. Will the wood still be wet enough to carve with? How long have I got until it is only good for the fire? Can anybody give me some ideas for projects other than a spoon?

2. I am a little unsure about how to finish (treat) a spoon. The last spoon I carved had some discolouration which stayed on the wood even after I applied oil. The grain effect was great in places but rubbish in others. I have a spoon which is a small sanding away from completion. It has stayed really wet in a plastic bag for a few weeks. I took it out to breath the other day in my cold and damp garage. I would like to get the finish right this time, what can I do?

Looking forward to your replies...

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Wood is carvable in any state wet or dry, its just a lot easier when its green and wet :). Some wood such as alder, lime and willow is still very easily worked even whenit has fully dried, oak is a bit different....I have a huge pile of alder outside which was cut 2 or 3 weeks ago, its still fine....In fact I made some spoons from some of it today. At this time of year with the cold and damp its not going to dry out fast. Bear in mind even sawn 1 inch planks need at least a year of aiir drying. Still store them under cover, off the ground so they stay sound and dont get rotten, birch is a sod for that....Depending on the size of your logs, you could try making a ladle, a shovel, cup (kuksa) chair legs and spindles, tent pegs, shrink pots, axe handles (see old finnish video for that)......
Was the discoloration on your spoon mould? You get that if the spoons etc are stored in plastic bags and it is warm indoors. Sycamore is a sod for that
I dont apply oil finish much apart from colored oil stain sometimes. I prefer the white wood on its own.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I quite like carving seasoned wood - OK it is harder and you need to sharpen your knives more often, but you dont have the splitting or warping problems! :)
I have carved spoons, spatulas and spoontulas from oak from a victorian chest of draws that had been scrapped due to minor woodworm damage!
Now that is seasoned wood! :D

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Was the discoloration on your spoon mould? You get that if the spoons etc are stored in plastic bags and it is warm indoors. Sycamore is a sod for that
I dont apply oil finish much apart from colored oil stain sometimes. I prefer the white wood on its own.

I don't think the discolouration was mould but I can't be sure. The kids were playing with my spoon one day and left it out. Then the dog came to play with it! It had to be thrown out after that. I think I will leave the spoon airing in the garage for a bit, give it a final sanding and apply some walnut oil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE