Green grow the rushes-o :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's no secret that I think we should make more of our native plants, and in my meanderings with crafts folks and their conversations, I found a truly inspirational site :D

I know of the lady, but I haven't met her. I would love to do courses with her though :cool:

Have a wander through her site and look at the things she makes :approve:
http://www.rushmatters.co.uk/rush/harvesting/1/

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Had a wee looksee, like the fact that the floormats are woven through with other herbs to help. Like you say would be great to go on a course.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Very nice site, thanks. Small caveat that I wish they used traditionally shaped reed cutting craft such as the Norfolk traditional boats.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did wonder about the punts, but I suppose they're available and capable of taking the load. Steady to work from too I'd reckon.
The reed lighters are a different shape entirely though, iirc. wider, more rounded ?

M

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's a lovely website, what they're doing is great, if i was minted i'd be able to afford something, I like the eco Beetle crushers, Shell would love them. I get that they need to be that price with the amount of work and skill etc....
Nice stuff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've done some rushwork, and it's lovely material to work with. It's pliable, almost leather like, it smells good, it looks good, it's much easier to handle that willow, hazel or cane. It's lightweight, it's warm underfoot or against the wall. It grows well here and it is so very useful.

I live in a very modern, comfortable, every mod con, box of a house, but if I would happily live in a home with rushes and natural materials all around me :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those little rushes make good rope though :)

mQjchD

from this thread…..
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120400

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We used to make so much use of rushes in the British Isles, and when you see work like this it lifts it entirely from the 'rush strewn' primitive interior ideas that folks think of. Woven and plaited, it makes warm flooring or bedding, it insulates walls (see the stuff on the French chateau) and it makes good, practical, lightweight basketry too. It can even be woven into hats and raincapes.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE