"Green" box stove (with pictures)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
I had fun making this today, so I thought I'd share my attempt at an aluminium bottle stove (apologies for the quality of the pics!).

It all started when I noticed that Caffrey's had brought out aluminium bottles, and since I'd always wanted to try my hand at making a more sturdy alcohol stove I decided to get a three pack :)

Step 1
Empty bottle (using the method of your choice :)) and assemble tools (hacksaw, hammer, drill, marker pen, and file).

100_0006.jpg

Step 2
Mark and hack off the top of the bottle. The best way to get a level cut is to "block up" a marker pen to the level needed and rotate the bottle against it to get a level line, then carefully follow the line with your saw.

100_0007.jpg

Step 3
Once the top is removed, cut eight small slots vertically in the top of the bottle (these will let the meths into the double wall of the stove). Using the same line drawing technique mentioned in step 2, mark up the base and top of the bottle. The base needs to be about 5mm taller to account for the doming in the bottom of the bottle. In this case I used a thin board in the block for the pen, and marked the base.

100_0008.jpg

Step 4
Remove the board and do the same for the top.

100_0009.jpg

Step 5
I score the lines using the hacksaw (as a means of keeping my cuts straight), before cutting all the way through.

100_0011.jpg

Step 6
Deburr the three pieces left (the middle section is not shown in the picture, but I cut it down the middle to use as a windshield).

100_0012.jpg

Step 7
Press the top section into the bottom using a board and hammer. Make sure to keep the board level to ensure the top section goes in straight.

100_0013.jpg

100_0014.jpg

Step 8
Mark and drill 16 1.5mm holes all around. The holes needs to pierce the outer wall of the stove, but not the inner wall, around about where the neck of the bottle slopes inward. Once drilled, I also used the blunt end of the drill bit to angle the jets upwards.

100_0019.jpg

Step 9
Add windshield!

100_0020.jpg

And here it is with my mug, all aflame! Total time about 1hr :)

100_0026.jpg

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Nice how to for those that haven't tried this yet. Congrats.

(The mug's too small though ;)) I find a 12cm pan is perfect. I use a poundshop ali spray bottle for mug/cups which is excellent. Now if I could just find an easy way of rolling the top...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Now I like that, and the guide is well put together too. Although I've never seen al bottles like that - I'm gonna be keeping my eye out from now on....

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
Nice how to for those that haven't tried this yet. Congrats.

(The mug's too small though ;)) I find a 12cm pan is perfect. I use a poundshop ali spray bottle for mug/cups which is excellent. Now if I could just find an easy way of rolling the top...

I need to try it out tonight, when I can see the flame pattern more clearly, but I think you are right about the mug being too small for the stove. The windshield is spot on for this mug, and I'm wondering how much it will help to focus the flame back onto the mug.

Alternatively, I do have my eye on one of my wife's deodorant spray bottles; it looks like it might be about right for the mug :) (I'll also have a mooch in the poundshop too!)

Last possibility would be to punch a couple of holes in the windshield and use tent pegs to support the cup above the stove, making the sideburners less strong...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done Crazivan

I babied an ally Bud bottle back from the States a few weeks ago, it's gonna get the same treatment eventually.

I've made loads from Lynx cans but not from a bottle yet.

I use a 0.8mm drill bit and put a lot more holes in, spaced 5mm apart all the way round I get around 32 in. I find you get a slightly smaller flame but the dissipation is must more efficient.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE