great langdale axe factory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi,
ive been promising myself a trip to langdale axe works for a while so i thought id better have a look. :)

although not particularily high at 650m or so it was still over a 2m ascent to pike of stickle via harrison stickle, some scramble some climb and all relentlessly uphill! and carrying 3 days supplies along with sundry kit, i think i may stick to meets and shorter hops! what happened to my backpacking days ?:rolleyes:

still, once i got up there aching thighs and all the view was worth it at my camp above grimmer crag, it didnt last for long the mist dropped and the horizontal rain was getting heavier as the days went on, but i still managed to have an enjoyable rummage around the old axe workings finding several old chippings of the green stone but alas nothing that resembled an axe head.
i was marvelling at the wonders of goretex lined boots on the way down, following a path that resembled a brook, untill i had to cross a swollen stream, ah well wet feet for the last half mile :D

anyway heres a few pics of my trip before the damp got to my camera. :D

012.jpg

in the distance pike of stickle
014.jpg

015.jpg

lingmore and wrynose fells
026.jpg

looking out towards lake windermere with blea tarn on the right
025.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

my first pitch centre left
022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

the last time i saw the sun :rolleyes:
018.jpg

029.jpg

shrouded in mist and then the full moon made an appearance, i really shouldnt have watched 'the grey' before the trip!

031.jpg

033.jpg

the site of the langdale axe factory, those neolithic people were hardcore
036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

040.jpg

trying to catch the horizontal rain before my camera died on me :)
041.jpg

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great pics!
Why was the stone so different all the way up there? Must have been hard work in the first place but even harder handing off a hill in all weathers, not to mention the amount of time it took to make one. Hardcore indeed.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Brilliant.That is one place i'd love to go to...
I have a Neolithic polished greenstone axe that came from there.I found it in Norfolk!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Did that walk one morning from the hotel at the bottom. Well worth it but I didn't see any axe remains either although just being around the site was enough with that brilliant sense of exposure as you edge down the gullies.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Brilliant.That is one place i'd love to go to...
I have a Neolithic polished greenstone axe that came from there.I found it in Norfolk!

yes i remember that thread and commenting at the time, which reminded me to have a look at langdale. if i had the good fortune to have a complete axe head as you do, i would just have to pay langdale a visit!

steve

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Did that walk one morning from the hotel at the bottom. Well worth it but I didn't see any axe remains either although just being around the site was enough with that brilliant sense of exposure as you edge down the gullies.

its a bit scary on that scree, i really wanted to have a look in the mine but the way it just dropped off i wasnt going to risk it! :crutch:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE