Greasy skull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That antler set I showed you, I traded for a set of six shot cups and a sheepskin rug.

As you can see, its been poorly preserved; the lower part of the skull bit is grease stained and a bit fragile.

I can fix this by impregnating it with cheap superglue but first I need to degrease...and remove stain!

How do I do this?

And when I have done it, how do I attach to the wooden mount?

(I have found a nice mahogany plank I will shape)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are you sure that's grease ?
Rotting bone leaches out the minerals and leaves collagen.
If it is just collagen that's left, then you won't remove the 'stain'.
You can re-mineralise it though, not terribly evenly as far as I know, but it can be done.
Basically you immerse it in a mineral rich background and a kind of osmosis does the rest.
It's why shell middens preserve antler and bone points, etc.,

Best of luck with it :)
Mary

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wattayouonabout?! I thought you were an experimental archeowhatsit?

Just stick a strap on it, and wear it on your head. Its a mesohat mate.

You could run at people like a bull. In fact thats probably what they did. See. Ive solved an ancient mystery there.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
There's a few things you can do to make it look more uniform in colour and whiter. These range from a peroxide soaking, attacking with a Dremel and even applying a secondary coating as per certain dental treatments.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
As above, a peroxide soak, skull cap only, if you want it whiter. Personally I think it's ok as it is so I'd just de-grease it using whatever I have to hand at home and a scrubbing brush. Maybe a bit of trial and error, white spirit, Swarfega, meths, washing up liquid, etc.
To stabilise it I'd prefer to use an epoxy or if there is only a small bit of fragile bone you could just cut it off keeping to the shape you want,
With the three holes it looks like it may have been mounted before or prepared for mounting? I normally just use a couple of nice old brass screws, sometimes with brass cups. If you want something more fancy you could use the bathroom mirror type screws that have an internal thread which smooth domed head caps screw into. Should look nice on a piece of mahogany.

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
Get hydrogen peroxide at a pharmacy. If they ask, tell them that you intend to bleach deer bones. Should be fine to get some then.

For that bone, I'd recommend you to get a brush and simply brush the bone with the peroxide. Oh. And you'll need sunlight or something with UV. Notably helps the bleaching process together with H2O2.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Do not bleach it you will only weaken the bone. Leave it in some bio washing powder and boiling water for a couple of days it should clean up evenly.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ill try that. Your right, bleach or peroxide might damage it and its weak already.

Methis is helping get the grease off but I cant do much, -it needs to be outside and at the moment its very wet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE