Grappling hook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For ages I have been coveting one of these: http://www.edcgear.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CRT001 :cool:

It is shiny and cool and looks fun, and I really can't think of any reason why I would ever use it.

Well, except when my Tilley hat blows off into the canal or a water filled ditch or suchlike, as has happened a few times. So far I have always been able to retrieve it with a stick, but sooner or later it will land out of reach. At that point a grappling hook would be handy. Except, metal grappling hooks don't float. :(

So, one bit of old broom handle, with a few holes drilled into it, and some string
20043966692_af5657b10e_b.jpg

Three bits of softwood dowel, whittled to a taper at both ends and sanded smooth for a nice push fit. Body and dowels given a surface coat of walnut oil to seal it.
19429184964_12f6686b42_b.jpg

Voila! A grappling hook that floats. The dowels can be removed and secured to the body with a rubber band, or I could even whittle fresh spikes from a handy tree or bush in the field.
19863792710_117a5f2472_b.jpg

I will probably still never use it, but it was fun to make. :D

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Elegant solution to the problem!

Although I know what you mean about coveting the shiny metal version. Perhaps you should get one, together with a "waterbuoy" auto inflate flotation device, as a silly over engineered solution.

Seriously though, the shiny one has a magnet in the end, and that would be a good thing to add to yours, as a small magnet wouldn't compromise the buoyancy.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mike you can buy these though easy to make. Get two little crocodile clips and a length of cord. Join all three, one clips to the brim of your hat, the other to your collar and this way your hat is tetherered to you should it be windy out. Much less weight than your hook though so saying your hook has many uses so handy to carry.
Hope you're healing well mate,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Mike you can buy these though easy to make. Get two little crocodile clips and a length of cord. Join all three, one clips to the brim of your hat, the other to your collar and this way your hat is tetherered to you should it be windy out. Much less weight than your hook though so saying your hook has many uses so handy to carry.
Hope you're healing well mate,
GB.

You can tie gloves together through a string through your sleeves too! This was more an exercise in making than in actually coming up with something practical.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You can tie gloves together through a string through your sleeves too! This was more an exercise in making than in actually coming up with something practical.

Sorry mate I wasn't dissing your hook as I like it a lot and it could be usefull for a lot of tasks. Was just giving you another solution and something else to make while your laid up :D
Often wish I'd had something like your floating grapple hook when I still paddled. Handy for gathering wood and blown objects while out (plus pretending to be Batman/ a comando on long lonely.trips :D )

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nah I was playing. No offence taken. The string in the gloves is a useful trick in an arctic environment. The thread is a bit of fun anyway. I'm off down to the canal to throw it in soon, just because.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE