Gransfors Short Handled Gutter Adze

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for all the input chaps, appreciate it:You_Rock_, keep you posted on which one we get.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
This is the Karlsson 600gm the sheath does not come with it
IMG_6615e.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks Robin, i think thats the one that's going to be best suited to my needs, knocking a sheath up for it wont take me long;), do you have any experience of the Pfeil Adzes by chance?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks Robin, i think thats the one that's going to be best suited to my needs, knocking a sheath up for it wont take me long;), do you have any experience of the Pfeil Adzes by chance?

Not used it but it has internal bevel and looks to me to be designed for 3d sculptural work rather than the sort of hollowing you wish to do.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just ordered a Hans Karlsson 600g as im more inclined to make small bowls, cups and ladles rather than big open form bowls, well at the moment anyway:)

Thanks for all the input and advice people, appreciate it.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have a carpenters adze being delivered this week from a guy on fleebay kepis, no handle so I'll make one for it.
I'll be asking you later how long it should be as I haven't a clue.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
If it's a full size adze (4 inch + cutting edge, 4lb in weight), you'll need a 36 inch handle. A full-size adze is designed to be used with the piece of wood you're working on at ground level, you standing astride it or even on it, and the adze gently swung towards you. Steel toe caps are very good things.

Cheers

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
If it's a full size adze (4 inch + cutting edge, 4lb in weight), you'll need a 36 inch handle. A full-size adze is designed to be used with the piece of wood you're working on at ground level, you standing astride it or even on it, and the adze gently swung towards you. Steel toe caps are very good things.

Cheers

Adzlycopaedia.

;)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
36" inch handle would only work if you are the right height for the finished adze. If I did that I would be digging holes in the ground, but if I fitted a 36" handle to an adze for my mate Gary (aka 'bigfella') then he would likely take his knees out!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE