Gransfors Short Handled Gutter Adze

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looking to get a small gutter adze for bowl carving, well my Dad is looking to get me one for Chrimbo:D, ive looked at the Gransfors, as you do:) , just wondering on the best place to send him to get one for the least amount of money?.

Of course the other question is, what alternatives are there to the Gransfors?, as above it will be used for bowls more than anything and probably the odd Kuksa now and again, but im led to believe the angle of the blade required is different for bowls and Kuksa's?.

Thanks for your advice peeps.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
You could always try Ben Orford - I think he makes one. Don't know about price but all the numerous bits and pieces I've had from him have been truly excellent AND he's a really nice bloke to deal with. I think you'll find him at www.benorford.com or something like that.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You could always try Ben Orford - I think he makes one. Don't know about price but all the numerous bits and pieces I've had from him have been truly excellent AND he's a really nice bloke to deal with. I think you'll find him at www.benorford.com or something like that.

Think the ones Ben does are reforged Shipwrights adzes for chairmaking, probably a bit big for my needs, ive loads of Bens carving tools and love em to bits.

Thanks for the info though.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Ive just looked at the Hans Karlsson range of Adzes, can someone like Robin offer some advice on which one would be best suited to Bowl and Kuksa carving ie the 600g or the 700g

Hans Karlsson Small Adze http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=82

My wife brought me the 700g and it is a wonderful tool, made this with it

cherry_kuksa2.jpg

Last edited:

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Svante Djarv and Hans Karlsson make good adzes. I have a 600g Hans Karlsson and I'm delighted with it.

Any of the short adzes would be fine for bowls and kuksas.

I went for the 600g Karlsson because it has a slightly narrower cut, and the cut is semi circular. The 700g Karlsson has a flattened section in the middle of the cut, so possibly better for chair making.

Cheers

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have tried most of the adzes linked so far and the Karlsson is a clear winner for me. One my first bowl course we had Svante Djarve, Gransfors and both Karlssons side by side. Shame I didn't take pics at the time. The Djarve would work well for big spoons but is rather short in the head to get in the bottom of a decent bowl or kuksa also quite lightweight for doing any sort of serious hollowing of a bowl. The Gransfors is sort of OK but the curve and action is not as sweet as the Karlsson and it's more expensive. Of the Karlssons as Ian says the profile of the smaller one is a section of a circle where the larger one is wider with a flat centre. You would not notice the weight difference but the wider one is better for big open form bowls and the smaller for kuksas and ladles. Most folk who try both buy the smaller one. I tried an early one of Duncan's which was heading in the right direction and will be good value for a light adze when he has them perfected, have not had a recent one they may be good by now. The only ones I have seen of Ben's were forged from hammer heads and suffered the same issues as the Djarve.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
funnily enough I made a small adze based on the rounded Karlson one (I made some drawings from one of Robin's). I need to get it out on a pass around (amongst those who .regularly use other adzes preferably) but it seems pretty good :) Difficult to say what the final price will be until I've made a few and got the technique down, but likely to be about between £100 and £130 I reckon.

I also make a lightweight adze a bit like duncans but the blade has an open socket that doevtails onto a handle. The advantage with the socket is that it can have a stick shoved into it and it becomes a gouge instead ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE