Gransfors Bruks Outdoor Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Well, I've watched some videos and read a bit, and I do believe it is most likely my technique that is the main problem. Perhaps I should cut some short rounds and practice in the backyard on my wood block. I still may see if I can return it, as the Les Stroud axe has peaked my interest as a better axe for my needs.

Thanks all,
H

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The Stroud Bushman axe may prove to be an excellent all around axe, good for both splitting or chopping, but not having used one makes that a guess.

I think it is an excellent 'all-rounder', given that you will have to compromise on, say, its out-and-out ability as a carving axe, felling axe or splitting maul; but, for the wide range of tasks for which an axe is used in bushcraft, I would say that it is pretty darn close to ideal. You may find that it is not the only one that ticks all those boxes for you though but it's certainly one to put on your wish list.

So, I'm man enough to admit when I am completely wrong (afterall it doesn't happen very often ;) ).

I went out the other day, and cut some dead birch rounds to bring home to try to test out each of my axes: A Gerber Extra Large, a Wetterlings Large Hunter (older with rounded poll), and the new GB Outdoors Axe that is the the subject of this thread.

DSC_3059.jpg

So based on some of the reading I did, I decided to cut the logs pretty short to make it easier to practice. So I wound up with three 5-6" diameter logs, and six 3-4" diameter logs, all of short stature.

DSC_3056.jpg

The Gerber XL sliced through them with little trouble due to its weight and size. I must say I did find it a little awkward feeling. The hollow handle made the balance of the axe feel quite strange.
The Wetterlings axe I knew might not be great, so here is where I tried to bring some knowledge to the table. I watched a Ray Mears video of him showing axe use, which I have seen before and was always kind of blown away how the wood just seemed to blow apart with little to no effort. I decided to give it a go, and man did I get great results! I recently sharpened this axe so that could have been a factor as well (since I bought used it was probably pretty blunt my first few goes with it). Had little to no trouble splitting this birch with very little effort.

Then onto the GB Outdoor. I again attempted the technique of throwing the top of the axe head to the side, and the result?

DSC_3061.jpg

The GB performed marvelously. The with a quick turn of the head, and enough speed the wood easily split apart without the axe digging into the block and blunting the blade. One or two strikes was all it would take. I think given the right wood choice in the bush, this axe will perform just fine for splitting tasks.

I do plan on splitting the rest of the big stuff down further to have a supply for my honey stove if we want to go to the beach and have a cook up. My only complaint is I do think it really is an inch or two too short to truly use comfortably as a two handed axe. I did it, but it felt very forced. I think I will be happy with my current selection of axes for now, and will try this GB out in the field in a couple of weeks. Splitting small logs in the backyard on a proper block and splitting in the woods when you need to get a fire going is another story.

Thanks Tiley and everyone for all the helpful info and links. I think this is a good resource for the GB Outdoor, as I had quite a bit of trouble finding info when I was originally considering buying it.

I'll update when I try it in the field.

H

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I recently got the Wetterlings Bushman axe and have been very impressed with it for all round use, just feels right whether splitting, limbing or even carving. I haven't in fairness used a SFA or the Outdoor one but they were up for consideration before I opted for the Bushman and can't say I have any regrets or second thoughts on my choice so far. It is slightly bigger though if planning to pack it, but not excessively so.

Cheers, Paul

bennymk

Sep 21, 2015
milton keynes
I got it today and me thinks it's a brilliant little axe, just right for going in the pack if like me you go away for days wild camping and are (as everyone should be) weight conscience .
Straight in the back garden and split a 5" by say 18" seasoned Apple log (into 8 strips) and it wasn't to much bother. I wouldn't want it at a static camp but that's totally not what it's meant for.

I'm getting the wetterlings bushman tomorrow so will be interesting to see the difference.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
I was very impressed with the weight of the GB Axe, when you showed it me mate... felt so nimble in the hand and on the wrist. As we spoke about, could easily be used as a primary cutting tool with that very good grind on the Head.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
23f537574d5126ebe9a67f52cf595203.jpg

I got this yesterday, the wildlife hatchet. Paper sharp out of the box and carves like a dream.

Not that this adds anything to the discussion, I'm just a very happy person 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE