Grand Designs - Foresters House

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Sunday 25th February 15:00 - Discovery Real Time

Kevin McCloud follows Ben Law's attempt to build a handmade wooden house in a West Sussex forest, with a budget of just £25,000 to work with.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you've never seen this before, it's well worth watching. If you have seen it before, you're probably going to watch it again, aren't you? ;)

Ben Law is a very good dude with some great ideas and an amazing house. I'm kinda jealous of him, but that's tempered by the amazing amount of hard work and perseverance it took him to get there. He's also one of Britain's leading lights of truly sustainable forestry, and a man I'd very much like to meet.

You will be green with envy by the end of the show. :)

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
He's a great chap, i butchered a road kill deer with him a few years ago now, with a mutual friend of ours. At the time he said he was building a bow and wanted the tendons from the deer to back his bow.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Come on now guys ........ July!! I want to see it noooooowwwwww! (throws teddy in the corner and stomps off) :D

(and thats having seen it once already!)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
You might also like to check out his book "The Woodland Way" about sustainable forrestry and permaculture. It's well worth a read.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I really enjoyed this first time round but come on admit it, there were a few people working on his house that weren't worth the food he paid them with.

I am sure they are really nice people and friendly and all that but...Hmmmmmm.

Very interesting build all the same though.

Gailainne

Life Member
I remember that episode, wonderful stuff, the knowledge that man had was Inspirational, there seemed nothing he would'nt turn his hand to, and be good at, from the solor panels ex big brother and submarine batterys to the shaped straw bales of the house walls. I particularly remember him showing the presenter charcoal making, and saying "oh its supposed to do that", as he casually put out a 6 foot tall flame out on the lid of his charcoal kettle :D

Stephen

I seem to remember Kevin returning, with Ben married, with a small child (baby) ?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Snufkin said:
You might also like to check out his book "The Woodland Way" about sustainable forrestry and permaculture. It's well worth a read.

I agree the guy is a legend his book is inspiring ,he also has a book in print on the making of his woodland house showing its build

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
SOAR said:
I agree the guy is a legend his book is inspiring ,he also has a book in print on the making of his woodland house showing its build
Yeah, I have that one too, but it's more of a coffee table book. Still interesting though :).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Beer Monster said:
Come on now guys ........ July!! I want to see it noooooowwwwww! (throws teddy in the corner and stomps off) :D

(and thats having seen it once already!)

Whoops, sorry it's on this Sunday, don't know where July came from :(
Original post corrected.

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
I have both his books and there fantastic. He seems to be a very remarkable man doing something that I hope to spend my life doing too.

I wont actually be able to catch it because I'm doing a course on coppice management this weekend. Some of yis might catch the irony :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE