GPS Units, help me decide please!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
Hi all,
I'm after some advice from users as I can't decide which way to go.
I'm currently looking at the Garmin Oregen 650t and the Garmin GPSMAP 64ST and can't decide which one to go for.
They're both of a similar price and size, both have similar screens and battery life but the Oregen has a touch screen which a peels to me being a keen iPhone user and the 64st appeals to me because of being able to use it with gloves on.
I would use it with OS mapping.
What experience do you have with these or similar units? Any comments to make?
Many thanks for your input.
Mark

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have been using a Garmin Montana 650t for about a year now. I am very happy with it, I use it both as a turn by turn satnav and running OS mapping for walking. it is a rugged unit. A mate of mine has had one clamped on his KTM all the way down through Africa with no real issues.

Louis

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
No probs with either. I've found that the mapping gets expensive though as garmin only support their propriety mapping. Garmin basecamp is dreadful and I've found it quite hard to get to grips with.

bearbait

I have Garmin GPSmaps 60CSX and 62S. Very pleased. I went for the units without preloaded maps so as a) to have more memory for my own maps and b) so the mapping would be up-to-date. (Maybe the modern units can update their built-in maps? Dunno.)

I like the touch screen on my iPad but prefer proper buttons on the GPS unit so that functions aren't accidentally triggered. Also buttons can be used with gloves on whereas (certainly on my iPad) the touch screen won't work with a gloved hand.

You can get OpenStreetMap maps for your Garmin. They are updated regularly.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I have an Oregon 550 and use it with mapping and find it superb. The touchscreen is responsive and easy to use. I don't think you'll have any major problems with either of those units.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
I've just bought an eTrex 30. My thought process involved the fact that my smart phone touxh screen has a fit when it rains (just when a gps becomes important) and I can upload custom diy maps. I also chose it over the 20 due to the electronic compass.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Just a thought, but why not get a rugged, waterproof smartphone to use instead? Probably cheaper outright cost, and lots of very good OS (and other worldwide) mapping programmes available that work well with the built in GPS, including Maverick that will give you 1:25k OS mapping for free. You don't even have to use it as a phone, but stick a pay as you go sim into it, and its one less thing to carry. Only drawback will be battery life, but there are phones available that have removable batteries, and generic replacement batteries are usually only a few quid on ebay.

That's the system i use when having a base map is useful (usually when running nav training for others to be honest), but when i just want a GPS as backup to a paper map, i rely on a garmin foretrex.

In way of an example of a rugged/waterproof phone - this one (with a removeable battery) for £60:

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_147611.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CLih_rmMrcUCFezHtAodaT8AkA

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Hello there,
I've been using the Garmin Fortrex 401 3 x per week for 5 years now - they are lightweight/compact/fairly rugged and I have found them to be amazingly accurate even in woodland provided that you set them up correctly. (The ability to spot mark in non-distinct featureless terrain for evidential purposes having once been part of my job). I was once tasked to evaluate GPS for operational purposes when they first hit the market (quite some time ago!) when selective availability (and therefore accuracy) was still an issue for tactical/evidential use. They were rejected for that reason. I revisited them about six years ago when I became 'a civilian' and with SA now less of a problem found the 401 to be ideal for my purposes (counter poaching!). They are simple to use quite intuitive - function is by way of buttons and there is no mapping but you should have a magnetic compass and a topographical map with you anyway and your route(s) preset in the device (I use Tracklogs digital mapping) . I use 2 x recharge-able AAA's and get two eight hour days from them. I've even immersed one momentarily (unintentionally) with no ill effect. You can fasten them to your wrist or attach them to a rucksack /waist belt etc and they are quite unobtrusive. I was so impressed that I bought three more and set up a tactical GPS training course. The 301 (very similar) used to be issued to platoon and section commanders and I now that many squaddies made own purchases too. Hope this is of use to you. PS whichever you opt for always carry a small reference compass on a watch strap/waist belt/rucksack strap to check that the electronic compass is telling you the truth before your next move (LOL) and don't let your conventional nav skills slip.:)

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I'll fourth SatMap; best one I've used out of the lot. And within the MR community there are plenty to choose from!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
Some really good advice in the above posts guys, thank you for taking the time to reply and share your experiences. I'm definitely swaying towards the GPSMAP 64S (T) as I think having buttons and the ariel are strong plus points now.

I've taken on board comments about keeping a map and compass on me. I learnt this the hard way about 10 years ago when me and a few friends planned a holiday down through Spain on our motorbikes. We plotted the routes for two weeks on my Satnav only to have it fail as we rolled off the ferry in Spain. None of us had a map or a compass and we were still in the ferry point 2 hours later trying to work out where we needed to aim for!

I got the 62st at half the cost of the 64st - and I'm more than pleased with the performance. It's working out very well for me since with regrowth of logged off areas, it's very difficult (impossible) to get enough line of sight to use compass map coordinates. I use the tracking feature to mark defunct logging roads, and waypoints to mark features. I use Linux and so Garmin Basecamp maps are not available on my computer, but I use QLandkarte instead and can import and add tracks etc. with no issues. The unit works so well here despite cover and steep slopes, that I'm getting a second unit for my son/grandson to take hunting.

The issues I had when deciding on a GPS were:
1. Gloves and buttons. I can operate the 62st with normal gloves and even neoprene - but really cold weather gloves would be tough. My GPS works in the rain, but so far I have no idea about real cold. While buttons are great and durable, typing in way-point notes with buttons gets old fast.
2. Just how big an aerial is needed? Given steep sided canyons and cover I went with a big one. It works splendidly, but I haven't gotten to testing out other units or phones to see how they would do in similar circumstances.
3. Do I need GLONASS, the Russian satellite system which the 64st can use. So far I don't - but I had to buy and use a system to find that out.
4. Is it really true that the 64st has more lock downs of added maps to prevent piracy? I don't know that either, but given some of the stuff with my 62, I don't even care to find out. Apparently lots of people moved back to the 62 after issues.
5. Do I need the compass, altimeter - yes in my case.
6. Do I need the added on-board memory of the 64 series? No in my case. Even a highly detailed track is under 500kb s far.
7. How big an SD card can if put in? You'd figure this to be an easy covered question, but it's answered - like all Garmin questions _ only by users. So you can put in up to a 32 Gig card. BUT since the file-system is Fat32, the biggest any single file like a map can be is 4 Gigs.
8. How much expensive stuff do I want to hang off me, considering that if I take a bad fall, it might break? How much stuff do I want to babysit?
9. Will it work with the computer/OS I have? I use Linux so I have to copy files to a folder on my hard drive and work from there. Base-camp easy stuff is not worth the trouble since it uses the same out of date maps that QLandkarte uses. I had to buy a unit and try it to find out. So I can put a real contour (if out of date) map on screen and add tracks and way-points so I'm delighted.

So I'm happy in that I chose a unit at a price I wanted to pay and it works for me. I'd be the first to say that if an armoured phone with GPS will work then try that first, because an armoured phone is a good thing to have!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE