GPS system combined with PC mapping..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Is there a budget GPS unit I can use with pc mapping software to build up a record of the things I find?

I would like to build up a database of whats where in my area, for future reference :) I can remember all now, but its getting bigger all the time!

Cheers, al.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Could you just get a cheap Garmin or GPS off the bay and then write down to add when home?

just a thought : ~)

Rich

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
my tracks is good, and i used to use it a lot

but my vote is for android phone and the locus app
ive got the pro one but the free one isnt hobbled

i can record tracks and statistics, but also it shows google maps, satelite, OS maps etc

you can open and edit google maps and import.

the best bit is you can take photo POI, add notes etc, can overlay the different catgories etc.

also if you have tracks installed, you can actually record to my tracks instead of the locus tracks etc

everything can be exported to kml for google earth and gpx etc
Al

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hmmm... Cheers guys.

I'll look into both a hand held unit, or an android. Appreciated, al.

P.s, whats the accuracy of both? I could do with something that will work to a few meters if possible :p

Last edited:

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
i've been considering the Bushnell Backtrack D-Tour for a while after reading a magazine review, liked the idea of multiple 'return-to' points, as well as being able to overlay the resultant route onto google maps on the return...

the problem now (as i see it) seems to be that so many mobile phones can now do this, and more, that it may well be easier to just bite the bullet and upgrade to a 'smart-phone'

Mack_ire

best app I found for gps logging on my Android is funny enough called GPSLogger, Simpe to use and allows you to upload via email, it will save both google earth (kml) format and the more advanced one called GPX. the best thing about the GPX file is it allows me to upload the tracks to www.openstreetmap.org which in case anyone is wondering an open sourced mapping site, fantastic for helping to keep maps upto date. If needs be when out on the trail and I need to view electronic copy of maps (my position on the map) I use Maverick. Hope this helps.
Otherwise if you haven't got a smart phone you should be able to pick up a garmin etrek cheep on fleabay, if you get the lead for a pc it will allow you to view it on google earth or openstreetmap.org.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
the etrex vista hcx is 89 quid on amazon just not, cheapest ive seen it must be because the newer ones are out

it has barometer and altimeter too ... i use mine with memory map OS maps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE