GPS Software for MAC?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
redflex said:
Looking for mapsource or something like it for Etrex Summit just want to up/download waypoints etc.

Problem is that I have an Apple Mac ibook. :(

Anyone know if this is avaible anywhere. :confused:

Thanks

Not quite sure if this is what you want but GPSWrite is well regarded. Check out the web site here with stuff specifically for the Mac:

HikeTech

You can try it first before buying.

Or try some other Mac OS X GPS software, a list here:

Versiontracker -GPS Search

GL :)

aquanaut

Apr 19, 2005
Hebrides
Have a similar request and having read through the above I am afraid still none the wiser - not very computer literate :rolleyes:

Firstly here what i have:
Imac running Tiger (OSx 10.4)
CD full of .tiff and .tfw files that contain 1:50,000 OS maps of Scotland

Next I need some way of viewing these files "stiched together" and ideally a way to link to a GPS (although not that inportant just now as i dont have a unit yet but it is on the dhopping list). I obviously need a programme that will allow me to import the tiff files and put them in order so I can scroll around the country on screen

I want to be able to view the maps and do basic interactions to enable me to measure distances, zoom in and out and print my own maps. In the future I'd like to be able to review the routes i have taken, the profile of that route and possibly programme waypoints into a GPS unit.

anyone able to offer any solutions to this? any help would be much appreciated :D

mrstorey

Forager
I've got a G4 running 10.3.9 and I've used Virtual PC in the past to run mapping software (Memory Map and Tracklogs). It was slower than I'd have liked, but I think with a faster processor, especially if you've got a dual processor chip, you'd be happy enough with the speed.

Here's a link to the latest version of Virtual PC.
http://tinyurl.com/k10m

Drop me a PM if you want any more info about Virtual PC or the mapping packages I used.

Cheers,

Michael.

aquanaut

Apr 19, 2005
Hebrides
mrstorey said:
I've got a G4 running 10.3.9 and I've used Virtual PC in the past to run mapping software (Memory Map and Tracklogs). It was slower than I'd have liked, but I think with a faster processor, especially if you've got a dual processor chip, you'd be happy enough with the speed.

Here's a link to the latest version of Virtual PC.
http://tinyurl.com/k10m

Drop me a PM if you want any more info about Virtual PC or the mapping packages I used.

Cheers,

Michael.

Hi Michael - I was hoping to avoid the virtual PC route if at all possible as you say its slow and clumsy (and expensive for the software).

if you resorted to VPC can i take it that theres nothing appropriate that is OSX compatible?

thanks

mrstorey

Forager
No, there was nothing that really fitted the bill, to be honest. Lots of second-bests, but nothing of the standard of Memory-Map or TrackLogs.

The Virtual PC route is a pain too, it's just a lot of pratting around, to be honest. I really do resent the fact that none of the commercial manufacturers can be bothered making an OSX-compatible version of their software.

Grrr.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE