GPS Map 60Cx Follow on

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Well, I have had the Garmin Map 60Cx for a month or so now and thought I would share my experiences so far. First off I added a 256MB Micro SD memory card, replacing the 64Meg which came in the unit. That was way overkill! I loaded the garmin Topo USA, 1:100,000 maps for most areas in my state that I would travel and it only took up 16Meg. So, 256 is overkill for almost any user. BTW, 256 is the most the operating system of the "X" series will support presently.
The GPS is easy to use, easy to read and the display works well in bright sunlight. It reverses based on sundown, the display reverses that is. Nice feature which can be shutoff if not desired.
The beauty of the removable memory cards is that you can change them to suit the area you are travelling and not lose the data, since you don't have to wipe it to load a new card.
The price is still high on this new GPS, so if you can live with 56Meg of memory, get a Map60C and save almost $100.
Since I was all excited to be using this new GPS, I also decided to invest in some more map tools, to plot lat/long and UTM/MGRS. I bought one of everything I could find and finally tossed most into a pile after picking the best ones. There is a site called Map Tools which makes the best of all the map plotting items and I compared them all! I have years of experience with map plotting from the military and John's map tools are the best I have ever used. I particularly like the "Improved Military UTM plotter" and the Pocket UTM plotters. The rulers for plotting Lat./Long are easy to read and use also. Prices are excellent on all items. Not sure about shipping outside the USA, but worth extra postage if you want the best!
The website for the tools is:
http://www.maptools.com/

This is not an advertisement, I just thought you may like the plotters. Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE