Got the pressure lamps working.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Hi All

Recently I have acquired 3 pressure lamps. They are a Tilley 246, a Bialaddin 315 and a Vapalux 320. The Vapalux has not turned up yet. The Tilley and Bialaddin have, and they were both non working DOA.

Tilley had no pressure in the pump. The Bialaddin had no pressure and leaked like fountain. 2x nights of fettle, and they started working this evening. Got them fired in the shed. The 315 still needs seal or washer for the joint where fuel tank and vaporiser connects, as paraffin spurts out a lot while lamp is burning. These give lots of light, but heat - like stoves. Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2OFaKsmJMg

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Lovely, seeing them running and with that nice hiss!

While you can get spare washers easily, especially the ones from 'The Fettle Box' on Ebay, you can also buy small squares of Viton rubber and make your own very economically. I use a set of cheap punches but a pair of scissors can work.

On the subject of Tilley's, here is my latest acquisition and first Tilley from a local Antique shop... http://www.classicpressurelamps.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/7463/

Steve.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Thanks, and thanks for the tip. I will give a try.
Here is more detailed vid of the 315 leaking badly, so it is put away now until more work is done to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9sbjI6LWcQ

Cool on your local antique shop finds. They are all very nice. I am still not a member of that forum, because after my registration, I supposed to get a verification email, but it never arrived.

Jay.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Bubbling away nicely there:) If you need a quick fix before you get the proper washers, just find any old rubber about 1 mm or so thick and fashion a temporary washer. Worst that can happen is it fails and starts bubbling again.

Give it another try on the other forum, may have been a glitch?

Steve.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Spader, when you buy any old stove or lantern have a fettle/potch about but its a lot easier just to buy a service pack from Ross on CCS or Mike at base camp. Would you give a car a half service and take it on a trip? No. I've still got a couple of NIB OS (new in box old stock) some of which is as old as me, made the same year complete with original spares but I'd still be careful using them without a rebuild 'new' or not. When you buy your pump leathers off ebay (you will now your hooked) look for the one and only Turkish fella selling them, he's a lovely bloke and makes top jolly cups that won't break the bank and do a fine job.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Yep, added to To-Do list. May have to request for manual verification, as when I retry, it says my email address and username is already taken but not activated.

Bubbling away nicely there:) If you need a quick fix before you get the proper washers, just find any old rubber about 1 mm or so thick and fashion a temporary washer. Worst that can happen is it fails and starts bubbling again.

Give it another try on the other forum, may have been a glitch?

Steve.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Yep, it is good to know there are good resources and sellers who support these vintage kits. I am not sure who that Turkish chap on eBay is, but maybe you can let me know his ID please? I think t is good fun to be able to get hold of these, do some work on them, and make them into working order. I should not be buying anymore though, now I have just enough to use. Once start keep buying them, it can get out of control. As someone warned, might get doomed, before dooms day. :lmao:

Spader, when you buy any old stove or lantern have a fettle/potch about but its a lot easier just to buy a service pack from Ross on CCS or Mike at base camp. Would you give a car a half service and take it on a trip? No. I've still got a couple of NIB OS (new in box old stock) some of which is as old as me, made the same year complete with original spares but I'd still be careful using them without a rebuild 'new' or not. When you buy your pump leathers off ebay (you will now your hooked) look for the one and only Turkish fella selling them, he's a lovely bloke and makes top jolly cups that won't break the bank and do a fine job.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yup this can become out of control once you start!! I'm now also into wick lamps and have been scouring all the antique and junk shops in the area!! I only have 4 at the moment so not too bad:D I am after an Aladdin 23 though, these wick lamps also use a mantle for extra brightness!!

Steve

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can use a Loxon mantle with the 23's (and some others) but the mantles for them are pretty pricey these days... a tenner or more easily.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They do increase the light and lessen your wallet, at £10++ a go..... I've a 21 and a 23 with spare Loxon's in the lock up somewhere I'll dig them out and light one up for you when I get the chance. My house if pretty bare of kit these days, just the minimum stuff I need and the rest is sold or boxed up and stored about eight miles away :( Sad but tidy and my Welsh Love Goddess is happy :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The little silver one is a home made lamp. I used bits n bobs and a empty deodorant can. I did buy the wick and globe though after a Shippams Crab Paste jar exploded on me:yikes:

Steve.

Last edited:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
They look very very nice. I wish I lived in a town full of junk and antique shops. :)

Yup this can become out of control once you start!! I'm now also into wick lamps and have been scouring all the antique and junk shops in the area!! I only have 4 at the moment so not too bad:D I am after an Aladdin 23 though, these wick lamps also use a mantle for extra brightness!!

Steve

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
The little silver one is a home made lamp. I used bits n bobs and a empty deodorant can. I did buy the wick and globe though after a Shippams Crab Paste jar exploded on me:yikes:

Steve.

Well done on that, looks very neat and bright - I assumed it was a commercial one! Do you take commissions?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
No commissions at the moment:eek: Close up it looks a dog but it was the prototype!! It would need a wick adjuster, something like the ones you get from Feuerhand, to make it practical?
I was trying to make something akin to the Uco candle lantern but run on Paraffin?

Ta,

Steve.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Thanks Rik, I actually have the oil insert for the Uco. It works OK, but it's not very bright and is quite fiddly for wick adjustment. Steve's one seems to combine the best of both worlds - compact like the UCO (hurricane lamps are awkward to transport), but with the wider wick and larger flame of a hurricane lamp. The only bit of Steve's design I'm not sure of is the oil tank - if the oil is low, will it really wick from the bottom of the tank to the flame? I think that's one reason the tanks are always wide rather than deep - to keeping the wicking distance short.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE