High temperature sheet material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Evening all, I am in the process of developing user serviceable vapouriser tubes for Vapalux pressure lamps.

dbeb16c6e067b70aa0bc68db0b6d220d_zpsfb89e7f3.jpg

2db79b3a97c7cbec008047984c27cf52_zpsde4adf0a.jpg

I am using the standard vap tubes as a base but modifying them to be able to be stripped down for cleaning and to take replaceable jets made from brass bolts drilled out to the correct size.

After many tries I have managed to come up with repeatable results but a problem I'm having is sealing the jets to the tube. I have been using fire putty on the threads which works well but think a fire proof washer would be better?

Anyone know of a sheet material in the ~1mm thickness range that could be made into washers that will seal hot paraffin and resist extreme heat in the 500 degree C range?

I already tried a 1.2 mm exhaust gasket material that was a fibrous layer sandwiched between 2 metal layers but that leaked!

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
How about a small copper sleeve that will crush into place in much the same way as a copper "olive" in compression fittings?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd follow Gweedo's advice and anneal them first; that way they'll compress to the precise form of the joint they need to seal.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I had to order some copper washers but if they work it will save a lot of bother. They are labelled as sealing washers so I wonder if they are already annealed?
The CPL forum seems down at the moment. I have seen this type of vapouriser on eBay from a Korean vendor but as to how they seal the end I'm unsure, there are no washers with it?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
crikey how do you drill out such a miniscule hole in the brass bolt, have you gave them a full fuel tank burn time, if the vapouriser hole is too big it uses loads more paraffin and a full tank will have a much shorter burn time.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The hole has to be 0.2mm to work right maybe less but certainly not over as the mantle will burn with a halo or flame on the outside like a worn jet hole. During testing I even had a bit of drill bit wobble because the chuck wasn't tight enough that threw the hole size out causing a bad burn! I went through over 20 drill bits before I got a technique down and still break one in five drills unless I'm real careful!
I don't normally conceal what I do but for now would like to keep how I do the holes quiet but will explain depending on how things go.
A batch of jets drilled and ready for larger cone hole...

30c832fbfd6ee835861c16bdb218c5e7_zpsd92cdc37.jpg

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I'm just spit balling here.Yer can get silicon collars for for tent stove flues that resist hot temperatures.then theirs fire retardant loft insulations(pink stuff) anyhow food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm not sure if 250 degrees c will be enough? I have seen the brass mixing domes glow a dull red when the vap tube is playing up. I don't think the steel tubes get red hot so to be safe and have a reliable product I'm after up to 500 degrees c resistance.
I tried Viton rubber which is used tother end of the vap tube but it melted pretty quick :)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Just trying help.a copper washer will always be a safer option I was just trying think of something that might give a more air tight seal . It does does have brackets 500c in the specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Engine shim, ti sheet, heating/boiler supplier?

What are the expansion qualities of the materials. Don't know about lamps but when a stove starts glowing red you burn more fuel, my theory is when the nipples in stoves get hot they expand, thread and hole, but it may be just due to pressure increase.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Not sure about stoves and expansion? Not too sure either about lamps for that matter! All I can do is run a lamp for a long time with my vap tube in and make sure it performs well?

Thanks for the suggestions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE