Got an axe today and......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
interesting idea. When you split, what prevents the 2 halves flying about and then still having to bend over to retrieve them to stack or split further? I have a chopping block with 2 large vertical stems set into the top and have tried a similar aproach to yours. The stems are ash, and are about 1 1/4 inch diam and stick up about 6 inches and are about 8 inches apart, at one end of the block. They are useful sometimes to use as fixed stops while carving say a ladle form. Handy for doing small slender wedges as well, the stems support the thin wood and prevent it snapping as it often does unsupported. I use a lot of thin wedges to do chair spindles where the end taper is around 1 mm thick. One very efficient method I used for to get kinderling, was to get the logs split radially into aprox 1/2 or 3/4 inch feather edge boards with a froe-oak is easy it almost splits itself. Then use the birch stick with a nail in it (mini pickaroon basically) to hold each split board down against the 2 stems, then chop chop chop chop, 1 2 3 4 5 pieces of kindling just like that....the nail hold-down prevents the need to reposition each time, I cut into the long grain an inch or less in from the edge each time, not into the end. The nail is always at the other edge. After your last chop you just flick the last stick off the nail This saved an unbelievable amount of time. I had 2 sheets of ply set up as a simple valley funnel type thing to minimise sticks being scattered everywhere. It worked a treat:)

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Mr Dazzler, I like your methods.

As you say there is still bit of repositioning involved in my example - I'm sure a few tweaks could help matters.

I came up with that as a quick to set up & fairly safe way for splitting smallish fuel in the field - provided you have a log/block of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE