Got a Tatonka steel handled mug and a Swiss volcano stove?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Can anyone that has one of these Tatonka mugs:
31RJ-PKEKkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and a Swiss volcano stove
VOLCANO-KETTLE.jpg

please tell me if one fits inside the other (either way around)

Cheers

Mike

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Hello, just been into the spare room and tried out the Volcano Stove into both the Tatonka mug and the GSI mug too, the Tantonka will JUST take the stove but it's a really tight fit, getting it off was a real pain and there were a few points where I genuinely thought that it wasn't coming off. The GSI was even tighter (there were a few harsh thoughts about buggering up my kit!) but they both came off with a judicious amount of wiggling, hard pulling and harsh language. I certainly wouldn't want to take these out as a set unless someone can make the fit a lot easier!

HTH

Sean

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Thanks for that - how about on top of the SVC cup?

still got it sitting on my desk so quick check........

The cup does NOT like sitting on top of the wire when it's on top of the SVC cup, so I moved the wire out of the way and then it rattles around like a stone in a tin can, you MIGHT be able to bend the wire frame around the Tatonka on top of the stove but that would mean bending the wires and I am not that brave, also the wire might simply break.

Just because I am now intrigued by the idea, I just tried to place the stove back in the mug and it didn't seem so tight as when I first attempted it, so perhaps I loosened it a little earlier on, it will slot into the mug, just not all the way down to the bottom, it's about half or two thirds of the way in, or about two of the 'rings' on the stove.

Do you need any measurements to fit in a pouch?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
still got it sitting on my desk so quick check........

The cup does NOT like sitting on top of the wire when it's on top of the SVC cup, so I moved the wire out of the way and then it rattles around like a stone in a tin can, you MIGHT be able to bend the wire frame around the Tatonka on top of the stove but that would mean bending the wires and I am not that brave, also the wire might simply break.

Just because I am now intrigued by the idea, I just tried to place the stove back in the mug and it didn't seem so tight as when I first attempted it, so perhaps I loosened it a little earlier on, it will slot into the mug, just not all the way down to the bottom, it's about half or two thirds of the way in, or about two of the 'rings' on the stove.

Do you need any measurements to fit in a pouch?

Thanks for all of this - measurements aren't necessary just yet. I'm replacing the supplied bottle with a 700ml SS Glogg bottle. This gives me more room to accommodate my Tatonka spirit burner permanently in the base. I currently have a plastic cup to accompany the metal one supplied so I can make 2 brews however I'd really like to have another metal cup instead. Hence my quest to find one that will either fit inside or outside. No joy so far though...

Amazon is no use as it doesn't give you measurements.

Cheers

Mike

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Ahhh, you said the 'G' word.......

I have a Glogg, they are great but I haven't used mine recently due to an acute case of SKS. Go Outdoors sell (or at least they used to) a stainless steel metal cup with folding handles that fits around the Glogg quite nicely thank you, AND one of these little cups sits just nicely inside the SVC, which means that you can put the cup inside the stove, the Glogg inside the cup, the put the Aluminium cup on top ET VOILA!

HTH

Sean the Experimenter

P. S. if Go Outdoors have stopped selling them then I have a spare that you are welcome to.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ahhh, you said the 'G' word.......

I have a Glogg, they are great but I haven't used mine recently due to an acute case of SKS. Go Outdoors sell (or at least they used to) a stainless steel metal cup with folding handles that fits around the Glogg quite nicely thank you, AND one of these little cups sits just nicely inside the SVC, which means that you can put the cup inside the stove, the Glogg inside the cup, the put the Aluminium cup on top ET VOILA!

HTH

Sean the Experimenter

P. S. if Go Outdoors have stopped selling them then I have a spare that you are welcome to.

Dude! Thanks - that's excellent. I've PM'd you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE