Got a hankering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
mostly I have a 30 year old SAK (might be the executive model), one of the mid sized ones. It has tweezers, toothpick, scissors, electrical screwdriver and blades; basically everything that I need in a pinch and can't fetch a proper tool to do the job. I made a sheath to carry it horizontally on my belt, so it's unobtrusive in every situation but the closest hug.

Otherwise I have one of my little higi's. I normally sell them in either O1 with a brass handle or pattern welded blade and brass handle, but since it's the only example of my work that I have on me in 'civilisation' mine has a pattern welded blade and mokume handle.

mostly I have a 30 year old SAK (might be the executive model), one of the mid sized ones. It has tweezers, toothpick, scissors, electrical screwdriver and blades; basically everything that I need in a pinch and can't fetch a proper tool to do the job. I made a sheath to carry it horizontally on my belt, so it's unobtrusive in every situation but the closest hug.

Otherwise I have one of my little higi's. I normally sell them in either O1 with a brass handle or pattern welded blade and brass handle, but since it's the only example of my work that I have on me in 'civilisation' mine has a pattern welded blade and mokume handle.
i oogled your higi's the other day before i emailed you bout that other thing
tempted by those too

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

So, is the blade edge able to touch the brass handle spine?

I've never handled a Higi and so far haven't seen anything on them that stops the blade edge from touching that back of handle spine bit.

If you see what I'm meaning here. If it was a slipjoint I would call it a backspring? Err, I think.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
There are a couple of ways to stop the edge hitting the brass, but you might have to look carefully to see if it does or not. The ones i sell don't touch, but my own does at one end (i cocked it up, hence keeping it!). It doesn't blunt the edge noticeably, certainly not as much as me using it to cut cardboard the whole time!

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
For a few years now it’s been an Urban and a Farmer. I can’t think why I would bother changing :)

E68-B5-CCC-F473-4-BAA-AA82-2-B1-D124-AC78-D.jpg

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
I use a Victorinox Climber for the most part, but back it up with a raft of others such as a Lansky World Legal, a HH CRKT Liong Mah no.5, Imperial Sodbuster and an Opinel no.5 with the ring removed.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So, is the blade edge able to touch the brass handle spine?

I've never handled a Higi and so far haven't seen anything on them that stops the blade edge from touching that back of handle spine bit.

If you see what I'm meaning here. If it was a slipjoint I would call it a backspring? Err, I think.

Have a look at the folder Corso has posted. The blade has a heel, this stops the blade touching, particularly important on knives with strong springs.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Have a look at the folder Corso has posted. The blade has a heel, this stops the blade touching, particularly important on knives with strong springs.
Aye, thing is, part of the reason is that over the years I've had a few folders that have allowed the blade to touch the backspring.
Sharpen the blade, close it.
Carry it for a few days without even using it, open it and the damn thing had a flatspot on the blade.

Its possible that while they were in my pocket and as I'm liftng and carrying stuff about they got kind of squished so the blade pushed further against the backspring but it's become something I check for now.
Some linerlocks and some friction folders are good (in that theres no backspring or section back to the handle anyway for the blade to touch) but many slipjoints are bad for it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE