Google Earth OS map overlay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
not sure if this has been mentioned here already but if not you can download a google earth file on http://www.brock-family.org/gavin/google-earth/osmaps.html that gives you an OS 1:50k overlay of the UK. There's also more detailed info included than on the OS if you zoom in and refresh (right click on the overlay folder in 'my places' and hit refresh) - some farm names etc. Had a good few hours routeplanning and spying out places to visit this morning!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
downloaded and working, thats very cool. i wonder if there will be access to higher resolution OS maps soon?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
wwd - click on the link that says osmaps.kml. then download the file. it should open Google earth automatically and the OS maps will be in your 'my places' directory.

once in Google earth find the spot in the uk you want the map for, zoom in to your preferred range, right click on the osmaps heading in your 'my places', hit refresh and Robert's your brothers uncle.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
nice find thank you!
but i am getting "sorry but this image cannot be served to you".
also i got a bunch of connection error messeges when i opened the OS map addon. help!

There's a limit to how many maps can be retrieved each day.

Once 30,000 people access a map no more can until the next day.

See the page linked in the top post and it explains that part.

On that note - please be considerate of other users and only retrieve a map when you actually need it and not constantly.
I have the map overlay turned off until I need to see something in particular, most of the time you're just not going to need it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE