Goodbye to my beloved pooch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
My dog "Lollop" finally lost the battle with his failing strength this week and was put to sleep yesterday. Jules and I miss him very much.... A small tribute to my best mate, guardian and comforter through hard times.....

b45c2eb4f3.jpg

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Sincere condolences, I had to do the same with my Rottie a couple of years ago. This is going to hurt for a long time I'm afraid, I teared up for months and after reading your tribute it got me going again. Its the only chance you get to choose family and its hurts like nothing else when they are gone.

:(

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Sad to hear that Dave. I'm sure you've got many beautiful memories to honour him by.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Sadly, those of us who are dog lovers know that we have to bear the burden of losing several of these most precious creatures over our lifetime, as theirs is so much shorter - although in my mind, more meaningful.

Some canine sayings and thoughts that I've always loved:

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind" (Theodorus Gaza)

"No matter how little money and how few possesisons you own, having a dog makes you rich." (Louis Sabin)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" (Roger Caras)

"He is your freind, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Anon)

And when it doesn't hurt so much - go rescue a dog and give him as much love and comfort as Lollop gave you; it will be reflected back tenfold.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This thread has struck a chord for me, I've never even owned my own dog, they've been my parents or my brothers' dogs, but I miss all of them that have gone to the big gig in the sky, especially Rocky the Staffy, a more gentle, child loving animal I have yet to meet.

I quote the saying from above which I feel touches on the special bond between man and dog the most, it's got me choked at the moment:

"He is your freind, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Anon)

I'm gonna go now before I turn into a blubbering wreck!

My sincerest to you both. My wife & I lost our spaniel a few years ago, he was a complete git at times but it took ages for me to get over him (including two & a half months off work with pleurasy & pneumonia which I'm sure was bought on by the shock of his death).
Look after yourselves & when you feel the time is right, learn to love another dog as life without them is incomplete.

Martin

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Condolences, he looked full of fun. The one on my avatar is well past his expected time, and still running strong. I am dreading the day that stops, and making the best of all I have with him, as I'm sure you did.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Sorry to hear that Maddave. Dogs are great companions. I've got 2 whippets and will be completely gutted when they're gone. I've been everywhere with them and they always sleep at the bottom of my sleeping bag. My sincere condoloncies. Almost brought a tear to my eye reading that poem :( :( :(

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
sincere condolences. get yourself a new friend as soon as you can bear too. it makes it easier, you must console yourself with the fact you gave your dog as good a life as you could

Aug 30, 2006
Yorkshire
I am sorry for your loss; I lost a springer not so long ago and I was devistated.

The fond memories keep me going

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE