good surplus shop found

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Whilst driving by Ealing I found a decent surplus shop. Run by a couple of old Indian chaps both ex-army.

They still have the German surplus shirts for £4 a throw and piles of good quality gear at good prices.

S & M Stores
155 Uxbridge Road, West Ealing, W13 9AU

Worth a visit if you are in the area. Also a copy of the Magnum Hi-Tech boot for about £35 call Grafters G-Force. While there a couple of Polish builders walked and bought a few pairs with the comment of 'only thing that lasts on building site that not weigh 20 Kilo'. Which is a testimony to durability if nothing else.

S :drive:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
S,

Did they only sell from the shop, or do you think they "may" have a website...just a thought, bad one, but a thought...

LS

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
type 'new cross army surplus' in a google search. Its a manchester shop, with online ordering.

Very good, I've used them for 17 years now, and still cant find better service and goods,

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Did they only sell from the shop, or do you think they "may" have a website...just a thought, bad one, but a thought...

Sorry its two old chaps who do stuff by hand, pencils, paper and mental calculations. But give them a ring they love to haggle!

S :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I love shops like that :D everybody wins in a good haggle and you actually make contact with a person rather than a machine :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
That shop is about 10 minutes walk from me.
The chaps who work there are pretty friendly and helpful as sandsnakes says but it is a tiny place so they can seem a bit "in your face" if you prefer a quiet browse around shops.
Shop seems more aimed at the building site than the great outdoors but then again this is London, albeit a rather leafy suburb. It is the only surplus shop I know of for miles around - any one know of any others near by?

I don't suppose you noticed whether they had any of the German moleskin trousers when you visted? After a new pair.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Ah yes, we are in leafy London... fancy meeting up for a beer and a chat. They had some when I went in so who knows, the Polish builders may have got them all. Worth a peek.

S

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
New store in my home town of Aberdare, not much old stock, but I picked up M65 trousers (new) for £15, not a bad price at all and no postage to pay.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
That reminds me, there's a surplus shop in Victoria that's packed to the gills, will be popping in there tomorrow lunchtime methinks (after surplusandadventure.com let me down....) :(

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
You mentioned a surplus shop in Victoria, which Victoria? I assume, and as with most assumptions I am probably wrong, its Victoria central London?

S :burnout:

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know the name and location of the Army Surplus in Victoria? Looking for decent shops in London is hard work.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
I didn't know there was a surplus shop in Victoria and had never seen one in all the time i worked around that area. There "used" to be a branch of Army and Navy IIRC though :lmao: . However there did use to be an outdoor/camping shop opposite the Royal Mews, a couple of doors down from the Reubens hotel, not the cheapest of places but then not the most expensive of places either.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Is it this? One of these days I'm going to post an 'other chatter' called
'How to Google' ;)

Camping and government surplus
39 Wilton Road
SW1V1DW
020 7834 3371

Laurence Corner (near Euston / Warren Street) was offering its business for
sale which either means it's shutting down or will be under new management.

It's a bit of a strange one as it has all the typical army surplus stuff along with
a fancy dress shop and general workwear stuff.

Their website is a fairly garish nightmare.
http://www.laurencecorner.co.uk/

A google search brought up this forum post:
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t8026.html - which is
where I spotted the Wilton Road reference, from which I got the address
above.

... and http://www.ukcities.co.uk/City_of_London/Shopping_and_Retail/Hiking_and_Outdoor/

Peter Pan

Jan 9, 2006
Acton, London
You are correct mate. The surplus store in Victoria, London, SW1, is along Wilton Road and last time I spoke to the guy who owned it, he was packing in due the high rental demands. The kit is ok though a bit on the heavy priced side.

The second surplus store mentioned ealier in West Ealing closed down February 2006. A pity as they had been there for ages. The next best outdoor store I know that is left is in Surbition high Street. This tends to sell the latest kit and I would say is geared more to bushcraft than say Millets or Blacks.

Hope this is of some use.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Jodie said:
Is it this? One of these days I'm going to post an 'other chatter' called
'How to Google' ;)
A google search brought up this forum post:
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t8026.html - which is
where I spotted the Wilton Road reference, from which I got the address
above.
Cheers Jodie. That thread made me laugh - I have been in one of the shops mentioned:

Thread in Question said:
"The above surplus shop is easy to get to and worth a visit. It's not especially cheap, but the quality is good and the choice is quite wide. It is run by a real Walworth character, not myself I hasten to add, but a very grumpy, very old boy -- he's spectacularly rude so either be warned or be entertained!"

So true! Walked in there with my girlfriend and asked about a scarf I'd seen in the window. He showed no understanding so I pointed out the same scarf above his head. He looked up, got one from under the counter and said it would be £15. Bit expensive I thought so I said we'd have a think. He told me he only had one left and that it'd be gone when I came back. I mentioned the two others I could see and he literally growled, and then repeated that he only had one and that it would sell within an hour. During the whole time, and every day since when I walk past the shop I have *never* seen anyone else in there...

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Come to think of it, do we have a 'sticky' directory of equipment shops?

No doubt it will be heresy to suggest such a thing where everyone likes
making stuff for themselves, but I like to keep artisans employed :D

As a librarian, I can't stop myself from volunteering to collate information
if we don't have a directory already :red:

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Found a Surplus shop in Enfield:

BDU Imports
Culver Nurseries
Cattlegate Road
Enfield
Middlesex
EN2 9DS

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
You are correct mate. The surplus store in Victoria, London, SW1, is along Wilton Road and last time I spoke to the guy who owned it, he was packing in due the high rental demands. The kit is ok though a bit on the heavy priced side.

The second surplus store mentioned ealier in West Ealing closed down February 2006. A pity as they had been there for ages. The next best outdoor store I know that is left is in Surbition high Street. This tends to sell the latest kit and I would say is geared more to bushcraft than say Millets or Blacks.

Hope this is of some use.

The one in Surbiton is Ranger, they have an online store now, I find them very competitive and helpful, here is a linkhttp://www.ranger.uk.com/

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Laurence Corner, the reasonably famous shop on Hampstead Road (near Warren Street
station / Gt. Portland St station) which sold ex-army surplus alongside fancy dress
gear (and which is mentioned by me in post #14 below), has now moved premises to
121 Kentish Town Road and is trading under the name Squadron HQ:
http://www.squadronhq.com/index.asp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE