Good stuff from the Beeb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Pathos

Hi Adi
off topic reply sorry... receives slapped wrists
found the cramp balls at Treborth just like you said they would be. Thanks, good source.

Was walking in the Carneddau the other day and also heard a cuckoo (Aber Falls area), thought you might be interested as I seem to remember you not having heard one recently.

Flying south for the summer tomorrow, so have a good one

Paul

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Pathos said:
Hi Adi
off topic reply sorry... receives slapped wrists
found the cramp balls at Treborth just like you said they would be. Thanks, good source.

Was walking in the Carneddau the other day and also heard a cuckoo (Aber Falls area), thought you might be interested as I seem to remember you not having heard one recently.

Flying south for the summer tomorrow, so have a good one

Paul
Glad to hear you found the cramp balls ... it's a good spot for them!

We heard cuckoos last night in the Aber Falls area ... actually, since posting to say we hadn't heard any, we've heard them on about 6 or 7 separate occasions!

Scott

Jan 2, 2004
Coventry, UK
Just remember folks it's the last week of the good stuff from the beeb on BBC 2, come on you know it makes more sense than 22 pillocks on a football field! :lol:

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Have you any other links on tracking of animals?

I can't seem to find many decent sites on tracking british animals which is a shame. The Mammal Society publish a good laminated guide to UK animal tracks and sign which you can easily take out with you when you go tracking. The best thing to do is just get out there and look for things. I spend a lot of time sitting until something comes along and then looking at where its been to find out what the tracks are like. Admitedly its often dogs and humans but its all worthwhile looking at to see what happens to a track when someone turns around or changes direction.

If you're really not sure where to begin go on a beginners tracking course.

Hope this is a help, let me know if you do come across a good site.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Thanks guys, thats the one. Its the guide to British mammals tracks etc you want.

A couple of useful books are Animal Tracks and Signs by Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrom ( I think this one has been mentioned before) and Collins Field Guide Mammals ISBN 0 00 219779 0. The Tom Brown series is worth getting. Love him or loathe him at the end of the day the guy knows his stuff about tracking and the books are very clear and I think make interesting reading.

If you want to get an insight into man tracking get Tactical Tracking Operations by David Scott Donelan. Be aware that the book is mainly aimed at the military and police so lots of weapons stuff as well as tracking.
:AR15firin

Happy tracking!! :-D

leon-1

Thanks Rhoda, I was more interested in the animals side of life. I have done basic tracking of humans with the military, although it was quite interesting I find being able to indentify an animal print and follow it and to try and ascertain what it was doing from its tracks a lot more interesting. :)

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Tracking animals is certainly more challenging in my opinion. It is easier to track people because we can often imagine what they are thinking when we track them. Obviously behaviours of each species would need to be learned before you could attempt to second guess exactly what purpose is present behind an animals tracks. (looking for food or a mate are good starting points though!!)

Apparently the UK is the most difficult country in the world to learn tracking in due to the large amounts of vegetation, small amounts of snow/sand and the small size of most of our native mammals. This is really good news I think because it means we'll all look like real experts if we go tracking abroad! :wink:

Put in a search for 'animal tracking' on amazon, there are loads more books than the ones I've mentioned. :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE